Parallels: MIgrating from PC Question

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by LastLine, Feb 10, 2012.

1. LastLine macrumors 65816

I've tried looking on Parallels support on this but I've come up with nothing, I've also tried a brief search here but again no definitive response.

If I use Parallels 7 to migrate a Windows machine to my Mac, does this in ANY way affect my existing Windows installation on the PC? Just concerned that if I do it and don't like the performance I may end up losing my exisiting desktop PC.

Any experiences much appreciated.

2. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

No, it just bundles up the OS, programs (and optionally standard user data like documents, music, etc.) into an image and moves it to the Mac.

I did it with my HP to migrate an image over to Parallels. Worked great (I moved over my data manually).

The issue however, is with licensing and activation. Once I got the VM up and running it needed activation in a few days. It worked fine, and I've since booted my HP briefly, but I believe there will be some issue with the old HP machine ... probably something to the effect of not allowing future updates, etc.

However, I believe I could re-activate the HP if needed.

I was in the same boat, moving over my development environment, and if it had failed, I would need to get the old machine back up and running ASAP.

3. LastLine thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the feedback. I've come to the conclusion that I will probably go for boot camp in the end. Parallels seems nice (tried the trial) but doesn't offer support for a particular game I want to run in it :) Boot Camp is coming.

4. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

NP.

If I was considering any gaming, I'd probably go with the BC ... but since it's for development, and I need/want my OSX environment available concurrently, I opted for Parallels (running the previous v6).