Parallels "one year upgrade" is not... Sorry but must say audios.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mr.Gadget, Jun 11, 2007.

?

Are you paying to upgrade to Parallels v.3 even though you are in your 1 year window?

Poll closed Jun 26, 2007.
  1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Mr.Gadget macrumors 6502

Mr.Gadget

Hey,
    I've been beta testing Parallels version 3 for sometime and find it fast and reliable... But... I originally purchased the retail version about 6 or 7 months ago and, number one, sent in for a rebate that never showed up, but more importantly, Parallels gave a 1 year upgrade guarantee. Well, I called them today (a toll call) and found out that one can only upgrade to version 3 for free if you purchased Parallels on or after May 1st, 2007.
    I asked about the 1 year "upgrade" path and was told it is only for your current version. So, any version 2.x is free, but they require me to pay another $39 for version 3.
    I said, well, I am a beta tester, do you know if they get an upgrade? She said "no".
    So, just be aware when you buy Parallels with their one year upgrade that it is really just "updates" not "upgrade".
    So... I've been using VM Ware also... for free and that is where I am staying. I told the CSR that I am leaving Parallels due to their policy and the fact that VMWare is free right now (and stable too). She didn't seem to care. So, audios Parallels! I am sorry to see you go. It is policies like this that can wreck a good company. I am fair weathered I know! But, that is the name of the competition game!

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

VMWare is free...in beta.

Still, I bought my copy of Parallels back in September. I thought I'd get a year of updates too. I won't vote just yet.

3. Mr.Gadget thread starter macrumors 6502

Mr.Gadget

Yeah, VMware is beta right now, but is very stable and seems determined to undermine Parallels with their free product.
    I don't hope any ill-will on Parallels because they are good, I just want them to honor, or change, their policy. I paid, I think, $79 for the retail version and never got the rebate. That did not set well with me from the start, then they want me to pay another $39. Just slap me while you're at it... and I've been running their beta for some time.... slap me again...

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

When was this announced? It's a free beta right now.

5. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

I've been seeing a lot of these threads recently, it's a shame, someone should create a big fuss and sue them. It wouldn't be good for the software development, but you can't just go back on what you have offered like that, especially when people have paid for it.

6. Mr.Gadget thread starter macrumors 6502

Mr.Gadget

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

8. Mr.Gadget thread starter macrumors 6502

Mr.Gadget

Doht! Sorry... No final free that I know of...

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Thank you

Additionally, I think you meant "adios". This is just a guess from a Spanish Major...

10. Mr.Gadget thread starter macrumors 6502

Mr.Gadget

Double doht! Sorry! My Spanish is/was phonetic... :)

11. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Ya está correcto.

:D ¡pinche acentos! :D

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I hate accents. Thanks

13. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

The Parallels support staff have not got a clue what they are talking about at the moment, they have been giving out conflicting information since 3.0 was released. If you bought Parallels with upgrade protection, you should receive an email this week with the upgrade key.

Full details here

14. Mr.Gadget thread starter macrumors 6502

Mr.Gadget

On one hand they say this:

Q: I've already bought Parallels Desktop before and all updates I received later were free. Do I need to pay for the 3.0 version?
    A: According to our upgrade policy all minor upgrades (like from 2.2 to 2.5, i.e. when in the X.Y. version number only the Y changes) are free. But major upgrades (when the X number changes, i.e. from 2.2 to 3.0) come as separate purchase.

On the other, this:

Q: I bought Parallels Desktop during the last Christmas Holidays with the Upgrade Protection. And still I'm receiving and email about pre-order. Isn't I'm supposed to get all upgrades for free?
    A: We have sent pre-order announcements to all of our registered customers. If you have Upgrade Protection or Maintenance purchased you'll receive your Parallels Desktop 3.0 key for free as soon as it goes GA. If you have free upgrades purchased and ordered the product by mistake - feel free to contact us at order-support@parallels.com and our Customer Service will help you.

Talk about double tongued... The CSR's should know. They are the front-line for the company... (Sorry, just very frustrated)...

15. Mr.Gadget thread starter macrumors 6502

Mr.Gadget

16. thestaton macrumors 6502

so wait... They are using the term Upgrade but really mean Update... I paid the money not knowing this and I'll now start a campaign to get my money refunded. I'm glad that upgrade is in writing, you can't say one thing and mean another.

17. Mr.Gadget thread starter macrumors 6502

Mr.Gadget

Totally my feeling. I am curious if they will suddenly send out key codes. Actually, I am hoping!

18. Mr.Gadget thread starter macrumors 6502

Mr.Gadget

Ben wrote me back! Here is what he had to say:

This could be good! They will have saved my faith in them as a company if all goes well... (They still need a better system though!)

19. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I hear you

20. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Well, good for Parallels I say. I mean, it's a limited market, and I always only expected to get upgrades within the same version - like on most other software that operates in a similar way.

If it encourages some people to check out the competition, even better :D

21. BrianMR macrumors regular

BrianMR

Poll needs another option: switching to VMWare Fusion, or at least strongly considering it.

With VMWare's pre-order price of $40 (and later full-retail price of $80), that makes it cheaper than the *upgrade* price for Parallels. That's compelling, and so I am going to take a hard look at Fusion before I upgrade the Parallels copy I just recently purchased (but prior to May 1).

22. Curren~Sea macrumors regular

Curren~Sea

I tried Parallels (free evaluation). It did not work very well, for example internet connection within windows was flakey among other problems. I never used it much. Then I tried VMWare and it installed easily and everything runs flawlessly. That's what I'm sticking with for a no-headache experience.

23. Mr.Gadget thread starter macrumors 6502

Mr.Gadget

I actually received my key today!!!

I received an apology note with a version 3 key today!
    Now, to give it a try..

That does restore my hope in Parallels! :D

24. *Vic* macrumors newbie

Build 3188

I'm on build 3188 - is that the current version of Parallels?

25. Mr.Gadget thread starter macrumors 6502

Mr.Gadget

4188 is the current (as of 06/14) build for 3.0