Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tedesco24

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
I need to install software that will provide streaming stock prices. Unfortunately it all seems to be windows based, so I need to install parallels or bootcamp on my MBP. I moved away from a pc life because it was always crashing, slow loading, etc. Will adding Windows software reopen that can of worms on my MBP?
If not, what program do you recommend?
Thanks.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'd say go with the solution that best fits your needs.
Parallels - allows windows to run within OSX, you don't need to boot into windows. The downside is that Windows does not have direct access to the hardware which will affect games.

Bootcamp, its a separate partition on your hard drive, you need to reboot the computer to start up windows.

Given your situation, it looks like Parallels is a better option

tedesco24

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
Thank you Mike. I would think rebooting would get cumbersome, especially if time is important for making a quick buy/sell decision. Any risk with Parallels opening my MBP to all of the junk associated with PC's?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Any risk with Parallels opening my MBP to all of the junk associated with PC's?
Nope, your parallels VM creates a "virtual disk" that is container file on your hard drive. Everything of windows exists in there, so its a complete separate entity.

I personally use Vmware Fusion because I find it to be more stable, and I've not had any problems with crap getting on my local hard drive from the vmware VMDK file.

tedesco24

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
Is Vmware Fusion the same thing as Parallels or are they different programs?

netmanbo

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2013
Is Vmware Fusion the same thing as Parallels or are they different programs?

They are different programs (I mean different brands) with same functionality (i.e. you can run a Windows virtual machine with both of them).

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I am in the same boat, I need access to a trading platform which only runs on windows. I use VM Ware fusion and have never had any issues. It runs really smooth, very seamless switching back and forth between OSX and windows. I just run it on a separate desktop and just swipe back and forth. So far I haven't had any issues with VM Ware or windows, no crashes etc... I only use it for that one trading program.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.