Parallels or Bootcamp? which is better

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by carcass29, Mar 6, 2008.

1. carcass29 macrumors newbie

any pros or cons to using this software? ...I know with parallels you don't have to reboot or partition your hd and can switch between windows/osx

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

depends on what you are doing, parallels is much slower than bootcamp

you wouldnt do windows gaming through parallels

bootcamp windows is running natively as if it were a PC

3. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

I would consider bootcamp only if i wanted to do gaming, for everything else parallels is fine.

You could have both though, right?

4. carcass29 thread starter macrumors newbie

slow as in processing speed? I plan to do recordings with lots of plugins which tend to slow things down now. So it's not as stable as bootcamp? I don't want the computer to crash while I'm tracking guitars and such.

5. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

Yes you can have both. From what I've read I would go with VMware Fusion 1.1 over Parallels 3.0 though because it's a little more up to date and faster.

6. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

It's slower because you're running two OS's at the same time and you're running Windows through a third party app instead of natively. It shouldn't be unstable though. Just not as fast as running one or the other by itself.

7. GotPro macrumors 6502

Agree. Go with Fusion by VMWARE.

They've been in the virtualization business for YEARS and YEARS and YEARS... and know what they are doing.

8. carcass29 thread starter macrumors newbie

so basically if I want to stay at full speed and not bog down my processor by running 2 os at the same time...I should just stick with bootcamp i suppose? Thanks for the feedback everyone.

9. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

Well I don't know how intensive the applications you're running are. With that 2.5Ghz Penryn it can maybe handle running your stuff through Fusion no problem. You'll just have to try it and see. Parallels or Fusion are a good thing to have anyways cause then you can run MAC and Windows applications side by side.

10. carcass29 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd say they suck alot of power, I run Cubase Sx with Drumkitkit from Hell, Native Instruments FM8...Waves Compression plugins with multiple tracks and a few others, The more power the better I suppose. i just don't want to slow things down....so BC might be the better option.

11. DaveF macrumors 6502a

I use BootCamp and Parallels. Parallels is used for personal finance (MS Money, 401k website that only works with IE). BootCamp is used for games and the rare DVD rips.

BootCamp is faster. But Parallels is much more convenient. If you're doing office-app type stuff, then Parallels is generally a much easier route. But if you need full performance, like for games, then you need BootCamp.

And if you want the maximum covenience, use Parallels (or Fusion) without a BootCamp partition, as they then dynamically adjust the disk space used accordng to what's needed. Whereas with BootCamp, you have to decide how much disk space to carve off for a partition and you're pretty much stuck with it from then on out (unless you want to reinstall everything to change it).

12. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

i use Sony Vegas in parallels in emergency situations but it dosent even compare to running it when windows is running natively

13. Flowero4ka macrumors regular

Don't think )) Run both! When you want to play, run Bootcamp, for work - parallels. Anyway parallels has too their own game-list! As for me, this list is enough.
    The main reason I use parallels - I don't have to reboot! :)

14. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Make sure when you divide up the memory with the virtual solution that you have enough for Windows and your Mac. Otherwise you will notice a HUGE difference in performance with Windows compared to Bootcamp Windows.

If you have 1 GB, just use Bootcamp.

15. gelatin macrumors 6502

which one is better for watching football streams on the internet?

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Get VMWare, install Windows in Bootcamp. Configure everything and then when you need to use OSX and Windows, use VMWare which autodetects the Bootcamp partiton and uses it as a virtual machine.