Parallels or VMware Fusion 10

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by HD Fboy, Sep 27, 2017.

1. HD Fboy macrumors member

Which is best? Previously I ran VM Fusion 6. I was happy with it. No upgrade path from 6 to 10 so I will have to buy a new license regardless.

2. kschendel macrumors 65816

Or you could go with VirtualBox. It's not the performance leader but it works and it's free.

3. HD Fboy thread starter macrumors member

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Both offer trials, so your best bet is download both and try both.

5. belvdr macrumors 603

6. HD Fboy thread starter macrumors member

7. dylanlewis2000 macrumors member

I found parallels to be faster than VMware when running on my c2duo. Just a personal opinion. Also the cpu speed seemed to be lower when running W7 and Sierra side by side.

8. 370zulu macrumors regular

370zulu

I decided to stick with Fusion Pro 10 since I do not care for the subscription model that Parallels has. I tried Parallels before I purchased Fusion Pro 8 a year ago or so. I did not care for the way navigation and creation of guest VM's was done. To be fair, I have been a VMware user since VMware was released on Linux back when dinosaurs roamed the earth. I have had Fusion since I kicked the last Windows machine out of our house back in 2007. I use VMware at work. I guess I am used to paying the VMware tax and just assume that it will be a part of my toolset for work. I also have used VirtualBox. I think it works well and the price is perfect if you are on a budget.

9. belvdr macrumors 603

The subscription is for the Pro version. You can still buy the hypervisor outright.

EDIT: I wonder if they recently changed it as I just did this a few months ago.

10. Crash0veride macrumors regular

Crash0veride

Tip: On Ebay licences can be found for $5 for the pro version. I don't believe you can upgrade them, but they work and for $5, not much to lose. I've been using one the last week for VMWare Fusion 10.