parallels or vmware fusion? which is better? pros and cons?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rodami, Oct 23, 2008.

1. rodami macrumors newbie

I was checking them out, anyboyd have any personal experience with both?

2. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

Here's a comparison between the two via WikiPedia.

I used to use Virtual PC many years ago and found it to be very slow for mostly everything. It only ran fast when really ancient DOS programs were loaded.

3. osiris315 macrumors member

osiris315

Having used Parallels for almost two years, I've now ditched it in favour of VirtualBox (free download).

4. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo

5. fteter macrumors member

My experience, while admittedly limited, is that all three programs have limitations that I found to be unacceptable. I've opted to hang onto my WinXP laptop until I can complete the transition of my apps software from Windoze to OS X.

6. demiphonic macrumors newbie

demiphonic

Fusion Rocks

I have not used it (yet) but Chris Pirillo (a Tech guru) says VMware Fusion beats the pants off Parallels.

VMware all the way dude. :D

7. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I used to be in the Parallels camp when Fusion was still in beta, however based on feedback, reviews, user impressions and so forth it definitely sounds like Fusion is the way to go now. I have not heard of Virtual Box before though, so I think I will look into that a bit more, especially if it's free! ;)

8. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Do what Fusion has been in the business donkey's years its stable reliable & has great support, anyways you can always opt to run your progs using bootcamp as its no different to running a windows crap box

9. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

They both offer free trials to you know what to do. ;)

10. lukin macrumors regular

Can someone please explain to me a few things about vmware and parallels?

Bootcamp runs on it's own partition and runs as if it's a windows laptop when booting into it. Ok I get that... does vmware and fusion need it's own partition? What windows do they run? Do you need Windows disks?

I was thinking of doing something like this: Bootcamp partition for a few games... but then I have a few programs I would like to run without logging over into Windows. I can install these in bootcamp, and then use one of the parallels or vmware to run them from OSX. At least that's how I THINK they work. If I'm wrong on something I could use some explanation! Thanks!

11. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

From what I understand, you can install Windows in Boot Camp (own partition) and then also use that same partition from within Fusion to not have to log out of OS X. I only use Fusion so I haven't tried that particular method.

Fusion does not need it's own partition, your Windows install actually sits in a subfolder in the Documents folder. You do need Windows discs to install it either way (Boot Camp or Fusion). I imagine the way you want to do it would work fine - boot into XP for gaming, use Fusion for other Windows tasks.

In retrospect, I probably should have went that route as well. I don't do heavy gaming on my Mac anyways but if I ever had the urge, that method would work best.