Parallels or VMWare Fusion

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MrGeePee, Dec 23, 2007.

?

Which one should i buy?

1. Parallels

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. VMWare Fusion

24 vote(s)
    85.7%
  1. MrGeePee macrumors regular

Hi, i'm getting my iMac on Christmas day.

I currently own a copy of Vista, so ill install it on my new Mac after i've bought either Parallels or Fusion.

Which one do you guys recommend i buy?

Thanks allot.

:apple:

2. nemex macrumors regular

nemex

I've used both, and like VMware Fusion better. Just a word of caution, there are some limitations on the version of windows Vista you are entitled to run in a virtualization program... this is a restriction of the EULA of Windows, not a technical limitation of Fusion or Parallels.

Cheers

3. MrGeePee thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks.

Is Vista Ultimate ok?

4. nemex macrumors regular

nemex

Yes :apple:

Happy Holidays!! :D

5. MrGeePee thread starter macrumors regular

6. DerekS macrumors 6502

Add my vote also for VMWare Fusion.

I own both, and VMWare is head and shoulders above Parallels for stability speed and security.

7. MrGeePee thread starter macrumors regular

8. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Another vote for Fusion. I couldn't get Parallels to work right and switched to Fusion. *Much* more stable. No comparison really.

9. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

I agree, Fusion is definitely the better choice.

10. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

I also own both - each has its pros and cons. If you're planning to run games, I've found that many older games run rather more smoothly in Parallels (although, to be honest, you'd do WAY better in Boot Camp if you want to run anything other than very elderly games).

For everything else (especially as you're running Vista), I'd go for Fusion - it's more stable and generally better behaved.

11. MrGeePee thread starter macrumors regular

12. andy5000 macrumors regular

i agree Fusion is the way to go, cause you can use a bootcamp partition too boot from instead of having to create a new partition which i think you have to do with parallels.

13. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

Agree 100%

14. aviationwiz macrumors regular

Personally, I love and use Parallels, however, I also prefer to run Windows XP. I have heard that for running Vista, VMWare is better. I believe they both have free trials available to try out the software. Why not try them both (before activating the Windows on either one) and seeing which one you like more?

15. RoninXI macrumors regular

Excellent idea I did the same.

I have used both and hands down VMware is more active in their progress and support. WHich is better is opinion though and mine is VMware because of the speed and stability

16. MrGeePee thread starter macrumors regular

17. katorga macrumors regular

I have both

I have both and generally lead toward Fusion due to its better USB, Linux support and the fact that it can run VM's from work with no conversion or hassles. I like Fusion's ability to assign more than 1.5GB of RAM to a VM and its dual CPU support.

But, the 1.1 leopard update seems to have made fusion a lot slower than the 1.0 release.

Parallels is a lot faster for me, but it is less stable and really is aimed at running just Windows.

Both Fusion and Parallels seems to burn a LOT of cpu even when idle compared to Vmware workstation running on my Linux box or my windows system. Idle, Parallels is 30-50% CPU, and Fusion is 25-37%. In comparison, VMware workstation idles at 8% on my Linux system.