Parallels or VMWare Migration Questions

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by batman75, Jul 24, 2011.

1. batman75 macrumors 6502

VMWare Fusion and Parallels Transporter both say they migrate the entire system (both apps and data) into a virtual machine.

I am looking to migrate my corporate PC into a virtual machine on my Mac.

My PC is also running hard drive encryption, Cisco VPN, and corporate network authentication protocols, as well as Lotus Notes. Will these things migrate into the virtual machine and work as normal?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I doubt that encryption will come over. VMWare Converter or Parallels Transporter will have to run within the running (unencrypted) OS.

B

3. waynep macrumors 6502

I think the encryption will be a problem. Part of the encryption process is to replace/alter the MBR on the PC. That jacks up migrations like this. There other things will likely work, but you have have to alternate between NAT or Bridged IP addressing depending on where you are. On some nets you can't get more than one IP if you are trying to run bridged. I have been running VM's for a long time, three of them having to VPN into three different corporate networks.

4. batman75 thread starter macrumors 6502

I suppose I could unencrypted all the files prior to the migration.

What about VPN - will that come over or will I need to re-do it from scratch?

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I neglected to mention my usual comment about this.

If it's a corporate PC, make sure that corporate IT policy and department allow you to do what you are contemplating.

Otherwise it might be a great way to get fired.

B

6. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Yep. They might not support a computer that they do not own. Much less one with an honestly-nonstandard setup.

7. waynep macrumors 6502

I assumed you were using a whole disk encryption tool as a lot of the corporate world these days, dictated by IT. For best results you should unencrypted the drive.

Another option that is more work but might work better, build a VM from scratch, test the tools then migrate data over . . . .

Yea don't get yourself in trouble with your company. Some don't like what you are thinking about doing. And more than likely you will become self-supported when you do this.

8. batman75 thread starter macrumors 6502

It seems a better solution is to not migrate the machine, but just migrate the one application which I can't buy for a Mac (a powerpoint plug-in application) we use for presentations. I can access Mail and Calendar via web and token-id so I don't need to actually have VPN access.

If I go this route, all I need is:
    Parallels 6
    Transporter
    A copy of windows7
    Cable to migrate this one application
    Anything else?

9. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Could you just reinstall that one program instead of migrating it? It would save you a lot of trouble if you could just reinstall the add-in on a fresh Windows install.

10. batman75 thread starter macrumors 6502

No because the manufacturer won't sell an additional license to me.

I don't mind porting the app though, because I will then remove it on the company PC, so hopefully that avoids any license issues.