Parallels or VMWare on SR MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Imbalance, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Imbalance macrumors member

Imbalance

Hi all

I've had my shiny SR MBP for a while now, it's great :D

I originally put XP on it using Bootcamp as I needed Windows in a hurry (sigh) but now that I've got some spare time I would rather use it virtualised.

However, I've had problems with both Parallels and VMware:

Neither would load my FAT32 formatted XP installation. So I read somewhere it wasn't supported so I rebooted, converted to NTFS and tried again. No such luck. Parallels AND VMware still wouldn't load the Bootcamp image.

Now, before I waste countless hours of my precious time:

Does anyone have experiences of using Parallels and VMware on the new SR MBPs.. do they both work properly if you install a fresh copy of XP using them? Any performance differences?

All comments welcome.

Thanks

Imb~

2. opticalserenity macrumors 6502a

VMWare Fusion works great for me.

I just open up the vista bootcamp partition and it works great.

3. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

I've used Parallels and XP with Bootcamp and without. I used it without for 6 months and never had a problem. However, when using Bootcamp and attempting to use the bootcamp partition, I would have to run a disk check upon startup every single time, be it in Bootcamp or Parallels, and Windows would randomly need to be re-activated.

I finally erased the bootcamp partition and just used the VM HDD again. It works fine once again.

I honestly don't think its so much an issue with Parallels that I was having as much as a Bootcamp issue. But, I don't know. And I haven't even tried Fusion yet.

4. dusanv macrumors 6502

I tried both and I like Fusion better (better interface, more networking features). Plus it's cheaper right now.

5. Sbrocket macrumors 65816

Sbrocket

I've tired both with my Windows Bootcamp partition for CAD software (NX5), and personally I prefer VMware Fusion. It just seems more fluid and efficient to me than Parallels; Parallels seems to have a Windows-esque software feel to it for me, like its unstable and patched together code. :p

6. Gandhi macrumors regular

Another vote for Fusion. Tried both, Fusion is faster and has a better interface and is easier to use and set up VMs.

And the price for Fusion is better through August as well ;)

7. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Is there any way to get a Start menu using Unity? I know Parallels has something to do this. I would rather use Fusion, as I trust vmware, and half the price right now!

8. After G macrumors 68000

After G

I had this problem a while back...

Make sure you have a sp2.cab file in your Windows installation before trying to run virtualized from your Boot Camp. Mine is located in C:\Windows\Driver Cache\i386\sp2.cab. I think you can make a copy of the driver.cab file that should already be in there and name it sp2.cab.

I am running virtualized from my Boot Camp partition (both VMware and Parallels) with a FAT32 partition so the partition format isn't the issue.