Parallels or VMware?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by giganten, Jun 17, 2007.

1. giganten macrumors 6502a

What program is best?
    I can get parallels for $69 today or should I Pre-order VMware Fusion for $39.99?

And if I buy lets say parllels from internet and download it can I then burn it to a cd. So i have it again if I have to re-install my computer?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

You can download Parallels for free at anytime...and just use the key you buy...

Right now, both have their advantages. Parallels has some of the VMWare stuff (better Coherence, or Unity) in the pipeline, but apparently VMWare's Fusion is going to blow us away :)

3. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Keep in mind you could try both out right now. That would help make a decison. Personally, I will prob go with VMware for the pre-order price. Also, they are the #1 VM company. It may be their first version for mac, but they have the experience. Also, sounds like the Parallels people aren't too friendly, as in teh stuff going on about free upgrades, but then changing what they meant, and making people pay to upgrade to version 3.

4. operator macrumors regular

I read many comments here that praise VMWare, yet when I installed it, it locked up my macbook, and ran very slowly. I've used Parallels extensively, and it has performed very well so far. I only use it for IE6, IE7 and Poker Stars though - I haven't tried doing anything intensive with it, as I prefer to use OSX whenever possible.

5. BigPrince macrumors 68020

does it mention anywhere about when pre-order ends?

6. WannaGoMac macrumors 68000

Perhaps forum search first as you're hardly the first person to ask this question.

7. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

http://www.vmware.com/beta/fusion/faqs.html#c6644

Says it is until 1.0 official comes out or the end of August, whichever is sooner. At least for Linux, I personally prefer VMWare...simply being able to drag the window to a different size and the OS automatically adjusting the resolution is wonderful.

8. Torajima macrumors regular

Cool feature... when it works. I haven't had much luck with it, though.

Right now I'm triple booting, as it's the only way to get video acceleration in Linux...

9. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I would recommend Parallels, they are improving very fast and the product is topnotch. I have not tried VMware but if you want something that works great now get parallels. I am not saying VMware is bad its just that i have not tried it.

10. WannaGoMac macrumors 68000

In the other threads people were complaining about how bad 3.0 parallels was and how much better VMware was already shaping up to be.

Perhaps you should try VMware beta to compare for yourself?

11. starlabs macrumors member

Well I've tried both and I'm staying with Parallels. I don't know why Parallels takes such a beating in the forums (compared to VMWare). I've been running Parallels for MONTHS and it works great. Pretty stable; it'll crash once in awhile (probably a handful of times since I've been using it).

Here's another thing to consider: Parallels 3.0 currently has 3D acceleration support for MacBooks (Intel GMA950)... VMWare doesn't. Not sure when - or if - they'll be adding it.

12. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

I have both and like VMware much better. Parallels just seems to mess with the system more (slow downs, freezes, etc). I paid like $80 for parallels some time back but don't use it anymore.

13. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Another vote for VMWare. I preordered by the way :)

14. user13 macrumors regular

user13

I'll be another one to vote for Parallels. 3D acceleration is definitely a big up to Parallels Desktop! I like the app even more now...

15. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

A lot of people complain about parallels customer service regarding their "free upgrades", on the other hand I used a trial of it and it was fantastic.

The thing is with VMWare having so much experience in this market I cant see them being second best in any department soon.

16. WannaGoMac macrumors 68000

And don't forget that there are many VMware images already pre-built. For example, a couple linux distro have images available for VMware.

17. usernotabuser macrumors newbie

Windows OS

For either of these programs, how do most of you get the Windows OS? Any suggestions?:confused:

18. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Buy it...

19. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

well.. legally, you have to purchase it from microsoft. So ... that would be that.

My dad had a license for work so I just went ahead and used one of the copies he had. A lot of people I would assume have a copy of some version of windows (linux is free... so you can find a good version of that.. i'd ask around, there are a few different ones) from an old machine or something, or perhaps someone else in their family has a group license or something.

I assume XP is decently cheaper now as Vista is out, but ... I don't much know if microsoft ever discounts their systems, being so rediculously expensive for vista and all.

20. geoffy macrumors regular

XP is still overpriced. You might be able to find a used copy with a license for a decent price. Vista is probably unstable anyway.