Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fab5freddy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2007
Heaven or Hell
I would like to run Tiger and Leopard & Linux on my Macbook Pro,
and am deciding whether to use Parallels or VMware, something else....?

maybe even just make 3 different partitions for each OS..?

anyone have advice on the pros and cons ?

thanks !

hodgjy

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
This thread might get some more action in the "Windows on the Mac" forum.

Anyway, here's my 2 cents. YMMV.

I think you should have 2 partition, one for Tiger and one for Leopard. I'm not a fan of bootcamp at all. Of course, I don't play games so I don't need all the extra horsepower that comes from running Windows natively. I use VMware. There is a big debate on whether VMware or Parallels is better. I started on Parallels, but it gave me too many kernel panics for me to tolerate it. I tried the demo of VMware and used their converter to make my Parallels virtual machine into a VMware machine. That worked flawlessly and I've not had a kernel panic since. The reason I don't like bootcamp is because I can't contain and "protect" Windows, per se. I like to have Windows contained within a virtual system. I make backup copies of this system on my external drive. That way, once Windows gets junked up over time, I can delete the virtual machine and then quickly copy the backed up fresh one and then I have a nice, fast, and non-junked Windows. It makes it much easier to deal with all the malware out there.

YMMV.

EDIT: I are dumb. I just realized you were asking about Linux. That's a lot different than Windows. I'm not sure if you can have a Linux partition on a Mac. This is outside my expertise. I have experimented with Linux within Parallels (not VMware), and I wasn't all that overly impressed. I do know that you can download pre-made Linux systems (called "appliances") for free from VMware and you'll be up and running Linux in no time.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I've used both and i defo prefer VMWare its faster and 'smoother' overall....for me anyway

nikopolidis

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2007
Parallels Desktop. Many reasons (IMHO):
- easy to run, easy to use
- nice interface, excellent usability
- fast, reliable, convenient
- nice user support and feedback, good and attractive offers
- nice gaming
- have no issues
- everything for people! :)

JSpence

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2007
Orlando, FL
VMWare. Tried both, stuck with Fusion. It runs smoother, and easier to start. IMHO. Everyone has one though.
(opinion)

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
My vote goes to Parallels. I've been running Parallels since it was introduced without any problems. I tried Fusion, but can't keep it running 24/7 for more than a few days before it brings my system (1st gen Mac Pro) down with a hard crash where I need to force shut down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.