Parallels or VMware...?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by fab5freddy, Feb 16, 2008.

1. fab5freddy macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

I would like to run Tiger and Leopard & Linux on my Macbook Pro,
    and am deciding whether to use Parallels or VMware, something else....?

maybe even just make 3 different partitions for each OS..?

anyone have advice on the pros and cons ?

thanks !

2. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

3. hodgjy macrumors 6502

This thread might get some more action in the "Windows on the Mac" forum.

Anyway, here's my 2 cents. YMMV.

I think you should have 2 partition, one for Tiger and one for Leopard. I'm not a fan of bootcamp at all. Of course, I don't play games so I don't need all the extra horsepower that comes from running Windows natively. I use VMware. There is a big debate on whether VMware or Parallels is better. I started on Parallels, but it gave me too many kernel panics for me to tolerate it. I tried the demo of VMware and used their converter to make my Parallels virtual machine into a VMware machine. That worked flawlessly and I've not had a kernel panic since. The reason I don't like bootcamp is because I can't contain and "protect" Windows, per se. I like to have Windows contained within a virtual system. I make backup copies of this system on my external drive. That way, once Windows gets junked up over time, I can delete the virtual machine and then quickly copy the backed up fresh one and then I have a nice, fast, and non-junked Windows. It makes it much easier to deal with all the malware out there.

YMMV.

EDIT: I are dumb. I just realized you were asking about Linux. That's a lot different than Windows. I'm not sure if you can have a Linux partition on a Mac. This is outside my expertise. I have experimented with Linux within Parallels (not VMware), and I wasn't all that overly impressed. I do know that you can download pre-made Linux systems (called "appliances") for free from VMware and you'll be up and running Linux in no time.

4. Spievy macrumors regular

I use VMWare Fusion, I really like it, and have had no problems what so ever.

5. Steel Wheels macrumors member

Steel Wheels

VMWare Fusion. Overall, it just feels better on OS X.

6. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I've used both and i defo prefer VMWare its faster and 'smoother' overall....for me anyway

7. jhande macrumors 6502

Fusion. Solid and doesn't suffer from featuritis, which Parallels does.

8. nikopolidis macrumors regular

Parallels Desktop. Many reasons (IMHO):
    - easy to run, easy to use
    - nice interface, excellent usability
    - fast, reliable, convenient
    - nice user support and feedback, good and attractive offers
    - nice gaming
    - have no issues
    - everything for people! :)

9. JSpence macrumors regular

JSpence

VMWare. Tried both, stuck with Fusion. It runs smoother, and easier to start. IMHO. Everyone has one though.
    (opinion)

10. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

My vote goes to Parallels. I've been running Parallels since it was introduced without any problems. I tried Fusion, but can't keep it running 24/7 for more than a few days before it brings my system (1st gen Mac Pro) down with a hard crash where I need to force shut down.