Parallels or VMWare?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by team 79 krunch, Aug 4, 2008.

1. team 79 krunch macrumors member

team 79 krunch

I am already running Bootcamp, for the Autodesk Inventor software. I would like to be able to run lesser applications, such as word and powerpoint, without having to reboot. First off can I install the same copy of VISTA Ultimate on both bootcamp, and parallels or VMware? Second which should I use Parallels or VMware?

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Since you can't ever be using both copies of vista at the same time, it sounds like you are fine with the whole license agreement thing.

VMware tends to get higher ratings for being more versatile. I run parallels simply because that's the software I started with.

Both manufacturers have been running rebates, bringing the cost below $40 if you shop carefully.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I have VMware and would recommend it because you can move your virtual machines to other computers with VMware and use the virtual machines, something you can't do with Parallel because they don't have Parallels for Windows and Linux. Obviously you can't move the BootCamp, but if you create a virtual machine VMware is the better choice.

4. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

Are you sure? :)
    Look here.

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

VMWare for me.

ESX Server @ Work does wonders for P2V and we have about 500 or so servers in our in our infrastructure.

On the home front Fusion runs Vista and XP like a champ.

6. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I run VMWare Fusion on my iMac, and find that it works beautifully, I haven't tried Parallels though. Just make sure that you max out the ram on your MBP, Currently when I boot Vista in VMWare, I get around 4,000 pageouts with 2 GB of RAM in my iMac, with 768Mb allocated to Vista.

Don

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I stand corrected. Nonetheless VMware is the industry standard.

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

VMware, easily. I can't put my finger on why, it's just better. VMware have been in the VM game for a long long time. Fusion 2.0 (currently in beta 2 I think) is going to improve things even further.

9. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

I think that best solution is download both apps and try them personally. I chose Parallels and this app perfectly suits my needs. At least for now :rolleyes:

10. jon08 macrumors 65816

What about CrossOver? Does anyone have experiences with that?

I'm also having difficulties deciding which one to choose (once I get my MBP). The thing is, I'd be willing to make a complete switch from Vista to OS-X, however, there are certain programs that I find indispensable and are incompatible with OS-X, therefore, I'd definitely need something to access them quickly whenever I needed them (while still in OS-X).

So what would be the best, fastest, least "buggy" software? :p

11. tejaykay macrumors 6502

tejaykay

Installing XP on boot camp partition. Or not?

So, I'm duly awaiting a MBP. I'm going to install XP on the machine but am now in a fuddle. Is it generally best to Install Windows on a BootCamp partition and then add it to the VM client? Or is it the same as installing it as a virtual machine in Fusion or Parallels? Does it perform better off of the BootCamp partition? Thanks.

12. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

VMWare..... its very stable..... uber stable actually and you have way more control on your VM than in Parallels!

13. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Crossover can work great, and doesn't need an actual copy of windows if the app you want is on their approved list.

14. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Can you make a virtual machine with VMware and put in on an external drive and run Windows that way? I have an app I'd like to do this for, I don't have the room on the internal drive.

15. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Yes, I have both Parallels and VMware and run the VMs from the external drive. VMware 2.x is faster than Parallels 3.x but supposedly Parallels 4.0 is even faster.

I use a FW800 external drive housing for a 200GB 7200rpm 2.5 inch drive.

Cheers,

16. Thunder82 macrumors 6502

I have been using parallels 4.0 with my bootcamp partition for the past few days and I have to say it's much slower than my old parallels 3 setup. Also, there are a TON of bugs with 4.0 with converting your old VM, or setting up 4.0 with your bootcamp partition. Take a look at the support forums on parallels site, a plethora of people with serious issues. I certainly wouldnt recommend parallels 4 yet because of the overwhelming amount of issues. (Took me over an hour just to get my mouse to work within the VM!)

Isn't Fusion 3 on the horizon too? I've read some good things about that.

17. ArturFelipe macrumors newbie

i started with paralles 2.x ... and was fine ....
    then came paralles 3,xx that was heavyer ...
    so i tryed VMWare 2.xx and it was faster than parallels 3,xx ...
    now parallels 4,xx is faster than vmware 2,xx ...

so now i`m using parallels 4,0 more fequentily ... but when vmware release the 3.xx i will try it out to see if i have to switch again ... :p

18. minik macrumors 65816

Although I haven't tried Parallels 4.0 (or likely), I really like VMWare Fusion.

19. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

thats a pretty expensive way to go if you are a legit user

20. ArturFelipe macrumors newbie

both gives good trial period for you to find out what to buy or not ... so there is no excuse to not try it out ...

and for upgrades there are promotions ... now if you buyed parallels 3.xx with just $40,00 (half price) you can upgrade to 4,xx ... and vmware is in promotion to ... $60.00 .... so ...

21. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I tried CrossOver and became frustrated with it. It's fine if you have a specific app that is supported at the GOLD level (if memory serves). Other levels are not completely stable. Plus CrossOver may not support the application that you want to run.

Best to check their website and see if what you want to run is supported.

Parallels and VMware are both good. The competition between the two keeps them both improving. Many early issues have disappeared and both are stable.

The nice thing about Parallels or VMware, is that they support an OS install. As long as the OS is supported, once set up, any applications that you choose to install and run on that OS work.

VMware is an industry standard so if you want to move your virtual machine to another computer you can. Parallels can do this, but with fewer OS options. I believe both can convert an virtual image created by the other.

To the OP, personally I would suggest trying both via their free trial periods and then make your decision.

22. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

If you get it during rebates, it comes out to about more or less the same price as one product at full price.

23. jon08 macrumors 65816

Is there a list of all the supported Windows programs by CrossOver?

24. CrownSeven macrumors member

I'm currently using VMWare and am quite happy with it. And they have a sweet deal going on right now where you purchase the older version of VMWare in store, and get a 20 dollar rebate AND a free update to the latest version. Can't go wrong IMHO.

25. CaffeMacchiato macrumors member

The 'problem' of using bootcamp for the new mbp is that, vista/xp uses the 9600 graphic card only, making the whole laptop warm/hot. The current 9400 integrated graphics card is good enough for most applications.