Parallels or...?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JonL12345, May 18, 2013.

1. JonL12345 macrumors regular

I have some Windows apps that I would like to run on my iMac. Do you recommend I go for Parallels or something else?

Thanks,

Jon

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I personally have been using VMware Fusion for years and have been very satisfied

But Parallels is a good choice as well

There are some free alternatives that some have used with varying degrees of compatibility and success

3. JonL12345 thread starter macrumors regular

I understand there are ones where you don't even need Windows to run Windows software?

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

It might be helpful for you to list what programs you need to run
    Some have a higher degree of compatibility and success in the free environments

5. JonL12345 thread starter macrumors regular

As yet, I am unsure what Windows programs I will install. I just want the capability.

What is the name of the free software that runs the Windows api layer, or something like that?

6. kryten2 macrumors 6502a

7. palmharbor macrumors 6502

Paralles? NO

1) keep in mind you must add, windows XP or another windows OS,
    its not included and remember XP or other OS is attached to just one computer so keep that in mind. You must enter the long, long activation code
    2) there is supposed to be bridge that permits you a doc using your printers with mac software.....I found it does not work
    3) I downloaded XP drivers for the same printers....I found it did not work
    4) Using I.E. I found that using my company's website..I would lose the connection and get page not found.
    5) I got error messages when I tried to download Firefox so I had to download the windows version from Mac and then drag and drop it to the XP desktop & install this way.
    I have been using a mac since about 1996 and this is the worst software I have ever bought and has to use their tech support multiple time.
    Buyer beware

8. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Wine, but it doesn't always work. Using a virtual machine is much more reliable.

9. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Think CrossOver is another one.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I personally prefer VMware but its really personal preference at this stage. Parallels brings a certain number of strengths and weaknesses to the table, and Vmware (and VirtualBox) has their own strengths/weaknesses as well.

Both Parallels and VMware offer a trial period, and VirtualBox is free so try all three.

I found crossover to be too limiting as what actually runs and problematic so I wouldn't recommend any crossover or WINE variant.

11. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I've been reasonably happy with Parallels with XP but I don't push it too hard. Mainly run simple apps that have no problem, MS Office (Access), and Visual Studio. I have 8gb of memory and Parallels is the only thing that causes me to wish I had more.

Bootcamp is another option, I ran it on my old MBP since it only had 3gb memory. Rebooting was a royal pain. Wouldn't be as bad now that I have a SSD but I prefer being able to access my Mac apps when I want.

12. opinio macrumors 65816

I use Parallels in OSX and Virtual box in Linux. Parallesl is far better. It has more options and works with USB peripherals better (for me).

13. Kuwait macrumors member

Kuwait

Parallels

i am use Parallels and i am happy easy to install windows or mac or unix or android els i like Parallels

14. matixryder macrumors member

15. JonL12345 thread starter macrumors regular

I am in the UK so don't believe that offer applies to me. Cheapest I can find is £45 from amazon.co.uk.

16. ELMI0001 macrumors 6502

ELMI0001

I did not have any luck with CrossOver. It does give you the ability to run Windows software without Windows but some speciality programs did not work. Might have been database related though. I didn't dig into it too much.

I'm planning to buy Win 7 and use Boot Camp.