Parallels performance

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by darels, Sep 28, 2011.

1. darels macrumors member

Alright, i've just started my architecture studies and ill be mostly using photoshop, illustrator, vector works and rhinoceros. I own 2011 mbp 13" base model and currently have win 7 installed via bootcamp but i would rather use vmware or parallels because of clear reasons, will these programs work smoothly enough with parallels or vmware? thanks for answers,

P.s. i know there are mac versions for all these programs but i'd like to use win versions (except photoshop) as we use windows in our university.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Given the latest benchmarks, both applications (vmware & parallels) will be fine. I think Parallels may give you some better opengl performance, they have in the past.

3. darels thread starter macrumors member

nice to hear that, one more question, what configuration on parallels i should make for best performance?

4. BiggAW macrumors 68020

As much RAM as you can, an SSD as your boot drive, and use your Bootcamp partition, so if you get too bogged down, you can switch to Bootcamp with the same programs and files.

5. sev macrumors member

which programs do you need the windows install for? If its Rhino you can get it for the mac - for free!

6. blevins321 macrumors 68030

When you setup the VM for the first time, I'd recommend disabling "program sharing." Its the feature that causes windows programs to appear on your Mac Open With right click option, and vice versa.

I've had nothing but annoyances with this-wrong programs open, VM boots when not necessary, etc...