Parallels & Photoshop CS4

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by hubbins, Jan 18, 2010.

1. hubbins macrumors newbie

Hi

A friend of mine currently runs CS4 on a 2GB Windows Vista PC and he is thinking about switching to a new Imac. He has never used Mac OS before and is a bit reluctant to ditch Windows completely. As far as I can see he has a few options, such as using Bootcamp or swapping his Windows version of CS4 for the Mac version.

But I saw a programme called Parallels Switch to Mac which is supposed to migrate his existing Windows set up onto a new Mac.

This looks like a good compromise to me, but does anybody run CS4 using Parallels? If so, are there any known issues and does it run at a reasonable speed.

Many thanks in advance.

2. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

It'll run but there'll be a performance hit. CS 4 likes CPU cycles and RAM, lots of them, and running it in Parallels means the computer is running 2 OS's at the same time. Boot Camp would give far better performance as would getting the Mac Specific CS 4.

3. hubbins thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. He's tempted by the quad core imac but is reluctant to buy it until he knows if CS4 runs okay on it. I think he should go for it, run Parallels initially until he gets used to the Mac OS and then exchange his windows CS4 licence for the Mac equivalent.

4. danahn17 macrumors 6502

Im not too sure about that... As said before CS4 will run much slower because Parallels is virtualization software. If your friend goes this route, he may find CS4 to run too slow and may blame the Mac itself for the lagging.

I think a better option would be to buy the Mac and then download a trial CS4 off Adobe's website. Your friend can use Bootcamp for the Windows CS4 and the CS4 Trial on the OSX side to compare and get a feel for how well CS4 will run on the Mac natively.