Parallels - Play Black Ops II on Windows 7 (Direct X problem)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by YBthebest, Apr 29, 2013.

1. YBthebest macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

A friend of mine recently bought Parallels for my MacBook Pro. He doesn't really know how all of this works, so I helped him with everything, setting up Windows, and that all worked.

What he primarily wanted was to play games on on Windows, that he couldn't play on Mac. For example, Black Ops II.
    So, he tried to launch Black Ops II, and...message error:
    Direct X has encountered an unrecoverable error

So, I've been looking around the Internet, and it seems to be some kind of Video Card problem. So I went in the device managers, and I couldn't find any Video Card driver there.

So, I was wondering, how does all this work? Is it possible to play the game? All the other minimum specs specified on the game's box seem to be satisfied, apart from the graphic/video card.

Thanks a lot, he really needs this!

Cheers.

2. auhagen macrumors regular

Install windows thru bootcamp, only simple games will work well thru parallels.

3. YBthebest thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.
    I read on the Eclipse website/forum that the newest Parellels version should be able to run those games though. Is their no way to make it work?
    I know it's stupid (he didn't talk to me before he bought it) but he actually only bought it to play those games...
    So in last case I'll try Bootcamp but if there is any solution I'd take it!

Thanks.

4. auhagen macrumors regular

Well the game will run far better in bootcamp, simply because you only have 1 system running at a time.

The MBP is far from the best gaming machine, so you have to pull all the power out of it, as possible, and the only way is bootcamp.

You might be able to get it to work, but in my opinion, you would need a hell of a lot ram minimum 8gb, but I would prefer 16gb and a ssd.

Remember when you virtualise a os, it shares all the components.

5. YBthebest thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that great answer.

Perfectly understood. I'll try bootcamp this weekend (any good tutorial?).

But in the case I'd just want to try it thru Parallels, what should I change in the options concerning that Direct X prob?

Thanks a lot.

6. auhagen macrumors regular

No need for tutorial just launch "Boot camp-assistant" thru spotlight or find it in your programs folder. All instructions is right there.

I actually dont know about parallels and direct x. I only use it to cad software, and even though thats my need, I'd rather boot into bootcamp, again just to get the extra juice.

7. YBthebest thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks for that. I will try Bootcamp. In the mean time, if anyone knows how to use it through Parallels, don't hesitate!

Thanks alot.