Parallels question! help please! =D

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by optimus prime, Jul 12, 2007.

1. optimus prime macrumors regular

alright so i just got a new macbook pro, and i also got the parallels software

the only windows os disc i have is windows xp proffessional but it says use only with a new dell computer. can i still use that to install it? or will i have to get a windows os that is universal to any computer? any help please? thankss:D

2. SDDave2007 macrumors regular

If you have the end user Product Code [not the OEM one] and if you do it should be on a sticker somewhere on your PC....

Just attempt to install the OEM disc under Parallels with the product key... *IF* windows tells you the product key has exceeded its install quota, call Microsoft [the install wizard will give you all the information you need], and tell the automated system that you had to change the motherboard in your computer. It will issue you a new product key, and bada-bing you are on your way.

This is exactly what I did with my MacPro.... works like a charm... I'll be darned if I'm going to pay Micr$soft twice for the same product which I will end up using only on one computer.

3. optimus prime thread starter macrumors regular

thanks a lot bro for the super speedy reply.

i used the same disc to install it on another dell. it didnt require me to put in the serial, so will it be the same for my mac do you think?

4. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

yes it should, just try it and it doesn't work just do what SDdave said

5. optimus prime thread starter macrumors regular

so yeah, i'm scared to try to install parallels. i remember my uncle told me that one of his friends tried installing it and it messed up his computer and he had to send it back to apple. any words of advice?

6. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

advice: never trust the opinions of uncle's friends.

they probably meant boot camp anyway. Parallels is extremely straightforward.

7. optimus prime thread starter macrumors regular

8. optimus prime thread starter macrumors regular