Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarkR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2006
Brighton, MI
I have successfully installed Parallels on my 17" MBP and have a WinXP Pro VM running great under it. I am using the VM because I need access to Internet Explorer 6 for administrative work on a website (their software really only works properly under IE6) and also for occasional use of MS Office 2003 for me and my wife.

The problem I just ran into is that I installed Parallels and the VM under my user account. If I log in to the MBP with my wife's user account, I can run Parallels, but it does not see the WinXP VM I created. I would like to use that VM when logged in under both accounts. I would prefer not having to re-create the VM. Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do to gain access to the VM under both accounts?

Thanks

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I have successfully installed Parallels on my 17" MBP and have a WinXP Pro VM running great under it. I am using the VM because I need access to Internet Explorer 6 for administrative work on a website (their software really only works properly under IE6) and also for occasional use of MS Office 2003 for me and my wife.

The problem I just ran into is that I installed Parallels and the VM under my user account. If I log in to the MBP with my wife's user account, I can run Parallels, but it does not see the WinXP VM I created. I would like to use that VM when logged in under both accounts. I would prefer not having to re-create the VM. Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do to gain access to the VM under both accounts?

Thanks
I'd move the VM to a place where both accounts have read-write access to it, such as the Shared folder inside the Users folder at the root of your main disk. Once it's moved there, tell Parallels to look for it in the new location (you'll have to do this in each account separately, and you may need to adjust the permissions before it works right - you can do this in the Get Info dialog).

MarkR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2006
Brighton, MI
I'd move the VM to a place where both accounts have read-write access to it, such as the Shared folder inside the Users folder at the root of your main disk. Once it's moved there, tell Parallels to look for it in the new location (you'll have to do this in each account separately, and you may need to adjust the permissions before it works right - you can do this in the Get Info dialog).
Thanks, I got it to work with your suggestion.

BearsFan34

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2007
Chicagoland, IL

Oy. The work I've done, the blogs I've read, the explanations/instructions I've tried...no avail.

I installed Parallels successfully as the Administrator on a brand new MacBook Pro. Did all the XP updates, etc. Works great in the Administrator account. Now I need to allow the other 2 single users of the MBP to access Parallels.

Phrases like "Move the VM" mean nothing to me. How does one "move the VM" I mean literally?

I've tried moving, as the Administrator, the Parallels folder to /Users/Shared folder, and the other users accounts still say that it can't access the VM. So I clone the VM in the Administrator account, log back in as another single user, and it still cannot see that XP is up and running in the Administrator's account and open Parallels.

I've tried creating a "VM folder" folder in the /Users/Shared folder to no avail, I'm positive that the Get Info/set permissions to read/write are set in each user's account, and still every time I try to access Parallels in a single user's account, it tells me it can't read/find the VM. I've tried cloning, and it tells me that there's no valid VM to read (says the .hdd and .pvs files are invalid).

This is ridiculous.

Guess I have to start from scratch. Can anyone offer help, or a guide for a doofus like me? I mean, I'm not Mac/Apple sage, but I've used a Mac for years and did when in college...so I'm not exactly a Mac Moron (or am I?)

Help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.