Parallels Question (Still need Window?)

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ATK1, Feb 4, 2012.

1. ATK1 macrumors newbie

Hello,

So I have a quick questions about using Parallels. I have been doing some research on whether I would want to go with Boot Camp or parallels and im still not fully committed to either my question though is;
    When buying parallels is it simply the program to allow you to then install windows via parallels? In other words parallels alone does nothing?

My other question is could I purchase windows use it with Boot Camp and if I decide I would rather be using it side by side with OSX I could simply un-install it from Boot Camp and install it on parallels?

Thank you all in advance for the help and advice!

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Yes, you'll still need a copy of windows to install in parallels.

Also, parallels can access your boot camp partition, so you wouldn't need to uninstall it to access it that way.

3. Hawkeye16 macrumors regular

I would highly recommend parallels over boot camp. It works flawlessly with Lion anyway. I used to use boot camp and since using parallels I will never look back. Much faster and easier (unless you will need 100% of your Ram and processing cores when running windows, then boot camp may be better even with the other limitations it imposes).

4. ndpuckhead macrumors member

I've been using Parallels with Lion, it works excellent. I usually have Windows open and its a breeze to switch back and forth. My old MacBook just had Bootcamp, and Parallels is much better.

5. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

My opinions

In other words parallels alone does nothing?
    Wel, I would not say it does nothing, but I would say that it is just not stand alone. Yes you need a copy of windows to use with it, but I suspect Parallels is a fairly complex program, especially considering how well (in my opinion) it integrates windows with mac.

My other question is could I purchase windows use it with Boot Camp and if I decide I would rather be using it side by side with OSX I could simply un-install it from Boot Camp and install it on parallels?

Yes

I initially used bootcamp but switched to parallels as I was sick of having to restart to switch. The only thing I would say is, max your ram, as I have found that in order to set the virtual machine and have a functioning mac, you need to carefully set up the machine and RAM is essential