Parallels question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by PokerGuy, Apr 16, 2011.

1. PokerGuy macrumors member

Not sure if there are any other poker players in these forums, or if someone can help me with my situation. Because of the events of the last couple of days regarding Online poker, I need to start playing more on sites that unfortunately (don't get me started as to why not?) are not Mac compatible.

From what I have read - Parallels seems to be my best option. But I want to know which version of windows to get to use with it. I will only be playing online poker on the windows software, so presumably this means I can get whatever the most basic version is? Also will I need to buy a 'full' version in order to install it on Parallels? I have windows vista on my old PC laptop - would this make me eligible to use an upgrade version? Or would it have to be installed on that laptop for that to be legal? I don't mind paying for whatever I need, just don't want to buy something I don't.
    Also rather than wait to buy an actual DVD copy I would prefer to be able to download whatever I need online - Parallels this seems easy enough, but are there places that sell windows for download at reasonable prices, or is the only option the MS site itself?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

PokerGuy

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Just run BootCamp.

What events in the last couple of days are you referring to?

Either way you need to buy a retail version of Windows, your laptop version already is activated on your laptop.

3. PokerGuy thread starter macrumors member

The 3 biggest sites have blocked all US players from playing, so it means everything will be changing in the industry as a result. And those were the 3 that had native Mac software - the others never bothered adding it (although they may now possibly)

Bootcamp not ideal because I still want to simultaneously use Mac for everything else I am doing. And its my understanding that I could only use either Windows OR Mac in bootcamp at any one time - is that right?

4. PokerGuy thread starter macrumors member

Also if I get a full retail version of windows do I install the 32 bit or 64 bit version?

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

6. PokerGuy thread starter macrumors member

LOL blueroom - I am from the UK (where we actually HAVE some freedom lol)
    - not trying to access sites thru trickery. Just the traffic is going to be moving to other sites so need to have the other options available to me is all.

Will check out your link though - thanks.

7. Apfik macrumors newbie

Maybe you don't need to run any parallels. if you need to run only one Windows application maybe you can try WINE. It allows you to run windows software on other operating system.
    http://www.winehq.org/

I did not not tested it that much, just tried with two programs and it worked quite well. I would give it try and it is free.

8. PokerGuy thread starter macrumors member

I took a look at the options including WINE, but it seems none of the programs I need will run on it. So I am going to go ahead and buy Parallels and a retail version of Windows 7.

Should I install the 32 or 64 bit version?

Also any tips on the process?