Parallels Question

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Dtp8513, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Dtp8513 macrumors regular

Hi,

I setup Parallels 6 on my Mac with Windows XP. Yesterday I bought a download of Windows 7. It is giving me two options to install- either download an ISO or a few seperate files (1 exe, and 2 box files).

Yesterday while in XP I tried to download and open the exe file, but it just hung and didnt do anything (said it was unboxing).

What is the best way to upgrade this new version of windows?

Thanks

2. Quad5Ny, Aug 30, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2011

Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

You cannot upgrade XP to Windows 7 (just like you can't upgrade Leopard to Lion).

Download the correct ISO from here; http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/ and burn it to a DVD. After that, backup your files and do a Clean Install of Win7.

EDIT: With Parallels you can have both Windows XP & Windows 7, you don't necessarily have to delete or format the XP install (just create a second virtual machine). Also with Parallels you don't need to burn the ISO, you can just mount it directly through the menu's.

3. Dtp8513 thread starter macrumors regular

I tried installing it as a new Virtual Machine but because I bought an upgrade, it didnt work. Is there no way to upgrade? When I try upgrade in Windows, it tells me it cant because its 32 bit.

4. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny