Parallels Question

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by skittlz, Mar 9, 2013.

1. skittlz macrumors newbie

I do not post on these boards often, primarily because people try to make you feel dumb for asking what they consider to be a "stupid question". Well I'm telling you off-top, I have a stupid question.

I just purchased Parallels 8 for my Macbook Pro, running (Lion 10.8.2, with a Core i5 processor. Midsummer 2012.) ok, first off, my bad... I didn't know you had to purchase windows installation disk separate from Parallels. They either didn't make that explicit or I wasn't paying attention. Either way.

Here's my question. And I've searched all over the-google for a straight forward answer to no avail. So I'm at your mercy snarky Mac-Rumor people. Is there a way to download The FULL version of Windows, (not the upgrade), the System Builder, Boot Up, Full version of Windows online? OR do I have to carry my lazy self to the store? Secondly, is the Full Version required to run Parallels on my mac, or could I just use the upgrade version to run with Parallels.

Ok, there you have it. My dumb question.
    It's all yours. Be nice. :)

2. simsaladimbamba

As far as I know, you need a full version of Windows to install it as VM in Parallels Desktop.
    As for getting the full version, it seems Windows 8 is the only official version left on the Microsoft Store.

3. skittlz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! Guess I'll be making a trip to the store today.

4. jrs22 macrumors 6502

The problem with the Microsoft store version is that it's an upgrade only. I bought the OEM full version from B&H for less.

5. Oldmanmac macrumors 6502

You can get it from a lot of different places. I got mine from Digital River (I think) and just d/led it. Got an actvation code and anything else I needed. For about half ~$70.