Parallels Question.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by cmcconkey, May 10, 2010.

1. cmcconkey macrumors 6502

I have an old laptop (windows XP) that has recently died and I am wanting to make a VM in Parallels out of it. The problem is that my computer is dead so I have no way of doing a Parallels transfer of it.

What I have to work with is the pata hard drive from the laptop a USB adapter for the drive so I can connect it to the MacBook Pro.

Anyone have any suggestions for me?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Not sure about Parallels, but VMWare Converter can convert some drive images into VMs. I've done it from Norton Ghost and Acronis TrueImage images before, and there is a free trial for Acronis so all you would need to have is a Windows box/VM to try it out in.

B

3. cmcconkey thread starter macrumors 6502

So is there not a way to accomplish this with the tools that I have. I have submitted a new thread to the Parallels forum but it has to be "Approved" before it will go live (really annoying).

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I just found this: http://liveview.sourceforge.net/ via google. It claims to be able to make a VMDK from a raw disk image or pulled physical disk.

I've been looking for that for a while and never found it myself.

Parallels can import the VMDK, so that might be easier than Acronis.

B

5. cmcconkey thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I have tried Live View but it doesn't seem to cooperate much either. Any other suggestions?

6. KeriJane macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

Hello.

That Laptop probably uses what's called a "Royalty OEM" version of Windows.

This means that the Windows Activation is tied to the Laptops BIOS.
    This method of discouraging cloning Windows drives is called SLP1.0 (System Locked Pre-activation) for XP.

Making a VM that has the proper BIOS Markers is technically possible but basically, No. You're not going to be able to make it work.
    If you had the necessary knowledge to do so you wouldn't be asking.

IF you manage to get a VM going for it you will be stuck in a Boot Loop as Windows searches for the BIOS markers. No Marker? Re-boot.

Good Luck
    Keri

PS. Try google-ing SLP1.0. There is no easy way to do what you want.
    It would involve creating a VM that mimics the original laptop.
    Microsoft does not approve of such shenanigans.
    Microsoft wants you to buy the Full Retail Box version of Windows to use in a VM or on a Mac.