Parallels Questions

bc008

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
Michigan
well, im thinking of buying parallels, but i was wondering a question or two about it.

1. After i buy parallels, will i still need to buy a version of windows (vista, xp, etc) to install over parallels, or does windows come with parallels

2. Does having 2 os's stored on one computer slow down the speed of it, and how much space does it take up. i have the base end imac.

Caezar

macrumors 6502
well, im thinking of buying parallels, but i was wondering a question or two about it.

1. After i buy parallels, will i still need to buy a version of windows (vista, xp, etc) to install over parallels, or does windows come with parallels
You need a separate Windows license to install on top of Parallels. Only Crossover enables you to use Windows programs without a Windows license. However the number of Windows programs that are compatible with Crossover is limited.

bc008

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
Michigan
so i do need to buy a new version of windows.
is vista compatible with parallels and mac?

ksmith80209

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
so i do need to buy a new version of windows.
is vista compatible with parallels and mac?
Vista is compatible with the latest version of Parallels. I'm currently running Vista Ultimate (it's what I had on hand...) under Parallels with no issues.

kibit

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
Illinois
Parallels

Also make sure you have a lot of RAM in your computer. You can adjust how much each windows OS is allocated, but you'll get better performance if you can physically add more. I have 2G of mem in my MacBook Pro Core Duo, and Parallels w/Vista Ultimate runs great...

just my 2 cents:)

bc008

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
Michigan
well i only have 1 gb of ram.

would it be worth it to get

parallels
windows vista
more ram

all just to run windows?

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
AU
2GB is strongly recommended.

Also, must it be Vista? XP uses less resources, is more games compatible, etc.