Parallels set-up

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by richardcanham, Apr 8, 2007.

1. richardcanham macrumors newbie

Hi.
    Im new to mac's and need to install parallels to run adobe audition on my mac for my work.
    I purchased parallels and now I have a windows cd (its a re-install cd that came with my dell pc that had xp pre-installed) and I want to set it up. I selected "new VM" in parallels and ran through what type of system etc and then a MS DOS style window opened and said no boot device found. Where do I go from here?

Thanks, Richard :apple:

2. ToddW macrumors 6502a

The CD has to be in the CD/DVD drive to be able to boot from it to install windows xp. make sure you have a legit copy of xp though. i'm sure you do. i'm not the type of person to lecture though.

3. richardcanham thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thanks, I thought as much but didn't want to put a cd in until I knew for certain it was correct to do so.

Before I do, on parallels do I need to back up all my files from my mac first?

thanks, richard :apple:

4. sotl macrumors member

No, backing up isn't necessary since you'll be running windows from a .hdd file sitting inside the Parallels folder. It's a virtual hard drive and isolated from OS X so even if something went wrong, you could delete that file and start fresh.

The only problem I see is that your re-install cd might not boot because its not running on a Dell. My Gateway recovery disk was the same way. It wouldn't load unless it was running on a gateway computer. My mom's HP disk also needed a HP computer. It'd be great if it did however.

5. richardcanham thread starter macrumors newbie