Parallels (should I use my BC partition, or no?)

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Mac-key, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

Hello all,

I have searched through and read quite a few different threads, but I'd still like to ask some questions.

Several months back I installed Win7 via bootcamp. The ONLY reason I need windows is to run quickbooks - and possibly microsoft office in the future. I've gotten sick of rebooting every time I need to do a simple task in quickbooks.

So I'm looking at installing Parallels 6. QUESTION - should I just simply use my bootcamp partition? Or should I delete it and reinstall Win7 and quickbooks through parallels. I get that it is extra work, but I'm willing to do it IF it's the best way to go.

I was just curious if either option is advantageous over the other.

Thanks

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

If that is all you are going to run, I would delete BC and install through Parallels

Your VM will be dynamic while your BC partition is not
    You have the option of backing up your VM with Time Machine
    You don't have to worry about the dual licensing issues of calling MS to activate

Just a few of my reasons

3. 0815 macrumors 68000

No need for you to keep rebooting - you can run it in parallels.

Parallels supports also running the windows from the BootCamp partition. So you can use the 'coherent' mode from parallels and if you ever have the need of the improved performance of booting from BootCamp you can still do so (using the SAME windows installation)

So I would suggest get Parallels and use your existing BC partition from within Parallels.

4. cxc macrumors member

I have tried to import my BC Partition in Parallels 5 and ended up with a corrupt BC partition. However, if you are certain you´ll never need Win7 for more than quickbooks go ahead and delete the partition and reinstall in a virtual machine.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You do lose the ability to sleep or hibernate your VM if you use a shared Boot Camp install.

A third option is to import you boot Camp into a new VM, then remove the partition. This way you don't need to reinstall.

B

6. Mac-key thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you for the quick response!

so when you say the VM will be "dynamic while your BC partition is not" - what exactly does that mean?

I LOVE being able to back-up my VM through TM - so that's a plus. Right now I back-up my bootcamp side using Winclone.

Your 3rd point - If I used my BC partition, would I need to reinstall Win7? or no?

what is that causes the dual licensing issue?

and if I were to delete my BC and start over - wouldn't installing my Win7 on a VM cause dual liscensing issues?

7. Mac-key thread starter macrumors 6502a

I LIKE this option a lot - how do I go about doing this? I'm assuming first download parallels 6 and it'll prompt me, or give me the option to import my bootcamp? then simply follow the onscreen instructions?

It'd be nice to not have to reinstall Win7 and quickbooks - plus importing all my quickbooks data via back-up.

So importing the BC seems simple and less work

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I'm a Fusion user, so I can't speak to how Parallels will prompt you, but I do know it has the feature.

Whatever you do, make sure you have a good backup in case things go wrong.

B

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Fusion user here too, so I can't help with that either

10. Mac-key thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for the responses.

parallels or fusion - that's a long and debated issue:) i've been reading tons of those threads as well.

i appreciate the info - it's been helpful in my decision making process.

11. jace88 macrumors regular

jace88

from what I can tell, Parallels Desktop 6 was considered superior to VMWare Fusion 3 in performance (compared to previous reviews of PD5 which considered them a lot closer). I ended up choosing Parallels because I preferred the interface and they also offered a student discount through their website and in Apple Retail Stores.

12. Mac-key thread starter macrumors 6502a

balamw or macdawg,

so if i went with fusion, and imported the BC partition - not to share, but to strictly use for my VM - would I run into any dual licenses issues? or is that always a possibility when dealing with VMs. I bought all my software legit and have product codes. That's not a problem - just looking for the simplest way to do this.

and doing it this way is something I could set it up right away - correct? Just simply download fusion and go - no re-install of my win7 necessary right? but in doing so, it would delete, or make my current bootcamp partition obsolete - correct? it would be gone, no going back unless I created another partition using bootcamp and restore my winclone image?

13. Mac-key thread starter macrumors 6502a

hey guys, after further research - I found my answers. Thanks for your help. Just wanted to let you guys know so you didn't spend time answering questions I had already found the answers to.

14. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

15. Mac-key, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011

Mac-key thread starter macrumors 6502a

follow-up question

looks like I'm about to download the free trial of fusion 3.

just want to try this thing out for a bit before making a purchase.

i have decided to run my bootcamp partition in fusion. simply because I'm not ready to commit to total virtualization just yet. I get that anything is possible, but I was wondering how likely it is for my bootcamp partition to become damaged/corrupted by using it in a virtual machine? or is this a ridiculous question. I've done LOTS of research and I've seen a comment or two where people talk about either sharing, or importing their BC partition and it getting corrupted. so this is why I'm asking.

simply put - is there anyway I can jack up my BC partition by running it through fusion?

anyone have any thoughts or experience with this?

thank you

16. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yes, but highly unlikely. The most likely thing that can happen is activation issues, but that can be fixed with one or more calls to Microsoft.

Any of this kind of stuff should only be done with a backup of all your data anyhow. Proceed with caution, but proceed!

B

17. Mac-key thread starter macrumors 6502a

cool - thank you

yes, I got a clone image with winclone, and all my quickbooks data backed up on another external. so i'm backed up twice.

i've researched the activation issues - doesn't seem to be more than a small speed bump.

thanks for the help