Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Parallels Toolbox for Mac has been updated with a handful of macOS Mojave features, including Dark Mode support and the ability to annotate screenshots with the new and improved systemwide Take Screenshot tool.

parallels-toolbox-mojave.jpg

Parallels Toolbox 3, a free update for existing users, features three new tools for quickly uninstalling apps, viewing local times in various locations around the world, and revealing files and folders that are normally hidden in macOS.

The complete list of new and enhanced features added in Toolbox 3, as outlined in Parallels' press release:Uninstall Apps: Easily remove applications and their files with a single click for faster removals.
World Time: See local times in various locations around the world to save time when working with colleagues globally.
Hidden Files: Reveals and conceals files normally hidden in MacOS to reduce desktop clutter and increase productivity.
Annotate Screenshots: Available only for macOS Mojave users, they can now use the Take Screenshot tool to add helpful markups including text, arrows, circles and more for quicker use in emails or presentations
Support for playlist download from video hosting websites: Quickly download playlists from Facebook, YouTube, Vimeo, and many more
Safari Extension for Download Video: Users can now enjoy a download video extension on their Safari browsers for quicker access downloading online videos to their desktops (compatible with macOS Mojave and Safari 12)
Dark Mode: Support for the setting in macOS Mojave
Customizable "Save As": Each individual tool now allows new files to be saved in customizable locations, rather than the same default destination, for streamlined efficiency
Resize Image: HEIF now joins JPEG, TIFF, and PNG as supported formats
Record Audio: Users can now save audio recordings in a MP3 file format, with the built-in microphone in a single click. You can also record from an external microphone or the computer if it's selected as the input source in System Preferences > SoundDemo videos:

Parallels Toolbox adds a dropdown menu to the macOS menu bar with a collection of tools and shortcuts that simplify common tasks to just a click or two, such as taking screenshots, resizing images, hiding the desktop, recording audio, switching resolutions, creating password-protected archives of files, and more.

Parallels Toolbox 3 is available today for $19.99 per year for new users. The annual subscription includes free updates with new and enhanced tools as they become available "several times a year." Lower-priced Toolbox Packs with specific collections of tools are also available from $9.99 per year.

Note that while Parallels is best known for its virtualization software that allows for Windows and Linux to be run within macOS, its Toolbox software can be used natively on any compatible Mac or Windows PC.

Article Link: Parallels Toolbox 3 Released With Dark Mode and Other macOS Mojave Features

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I don't get it. Why would anyone pay $20 per year for features that are already built-in to the OS itself? There is nothing (that I see) in this utility that does anything you can't already do for free—with the exception of downloading video playlists from websites. But there are free extensions for all browsers that do that or at the very least cheaper (one-time payment) apps available.

tnsmart

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2008
Pay a yearly fee so they can go in, add the addition of one Apple-provided API for Dark Mode.
Oh, maybe you missed the body of the article. About half of it is a list of changes. I count more than one, probably requiring more than one Apple-provided API. About half of the title is "and Other macOS Mojave Features". I probably wouldn't pay $20/year for this software, but it's pretty obvious that their improvements aren't as limited as you say.

Reactions: naked

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Oh, maybe you missed the body of the article. About half of it is a list of changes. I count more than one, probably requiring more than one Apple-provided API. About half of the title is "and Other macOS Mojave Features". I probably wouldn't pay $20/year for this software, but it's pretty obvious that their improvements aren't as limited as you say.

Half of them are quick and simple implementations and simple API tie-ins (like screenshot annotation). Certainly not any real changes to justify an upgrade fee.

Vjosullivan

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2013
My iMac is too old to take Mojave but that doesn't matter, since the only new feature it appear to have is "dark mode".

drumcat

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
Otautahi, Aotearoa
What, afraid we won't pay a fair price? Get outta here with that subscription dumpster fire.

If you sign up for this, you're just burning money.
[doublepost=1541554065][/doublepost]If you want to buy something that's worth it, get Hazel, and figure out how every other damn feature is a part of MacOS already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.