Parallels Transporter

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by DanielDMB, Dec 6, 2010.

1. DanielDMB macrumors member

Hi

I have Parallels with Windows XP installed on it, but I want to also use Windows Vista on Parallels, no matter how sucky you may say it is :3

Anyway, my friend has a laptop with Windows Vista installed on it, and I was wondering if I could use Parallels Transporter to transport vista to Parallels.

Will I need a CD? Or do I just need to use the Transporter and it'll work out fine?

Thanks,
    :apple:

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You could do this, but your friend might not like it so much to find out that their Vista is no longer activated.

Don't steal software. If you need Vista buy a copy that can legally be installed on your Mac.

B

3. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

And if you're going to steal software, don't steal that crap.

4. DanielDMB thread starter macrumors member

I had no idea that it would de-activate his copy of Vista. I'm pretty new to the Parallels subject, thus why I'm posting here, and no I won't be stealing it, I'm not a thief.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I sort of knew there was a catch to this transporter, it seemed too good to be true :cool:

Mods, you can lock this if you wish.
    :apple:

5. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

I didn't actually know Parallels would de-activate the account it copied from, after all, isn't it just cloning the drive? And if it did deactivate Windows, couldn't he easily reactivate it?

What we meant by stealing (not sure if you knew) was obtaining software (Windows Vista) without paying for it.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Think Highlander. "There can be only one".

If you activate the Parallels copy, the one on the laptop will soon ask to reactivate ("Wait! I'm already activated on other hardware?!?") and vice versa until Microsoft will simply stop activating this product key online and will force you to call in to activate.

Not a good idea unless you don't like said friend or the laptop in question is about to be decommissioned.

B

7. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

I have a friend ;) who has one copy of Windows XP currently activated on 7 machines without any problem. Is this normal/different from Vista?

8. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Yes...Vista and Win7 are much more strict as far as activations.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

As are OEM versions that would typically be found on a friend's laptop.

B

10. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Alright. I wasn't aware of this.