Parallels & Upgrading

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by softwareguy256, Jun 8, 2010.

1. softwareguy256 macrumors regular

I have a stock plastic macbook from 09. 2 gb ram 667 and 2 ghz core 2 duo on last version of leopard. Parallels runs OK but my apps load slow and take long time switching, after a day or two especially going sleep/wake up cycles VM starts slowing down a lot need to reboot it.

Will upgrading to snow leopard and 4 GB ram solve this problem? This will set me back at least $200 so I need some good info to make a decision. I need to buy new RAM, snow leopard and new version of parallels plus do a complete backup and waste probably a day doing the upgrade.

2. eman macrumors 6502a

I found Parallels to be buggy and only use bootcamp now and all my problems went away. I run bootcamp with a macbook, 2.0GHZ and 2Gb ram with no problems. I have since upgraded to Snow Leopard and all is still good.

Save the $200 and upgrade to Snow Leopard for the $25 and load bootcamp.

3. softwareguy256 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, but I don't think I want bootcamp, the time it takes to switch back and forth is such a headache that I might as well use windows 100% in that case. There is only 1 app not even very CPU intensive that I need to run and of course MS office, I am not paying twice for the mac version!!

Any experienced parallels user? Parallel works nicely especially with spaces, but after a while it really bogs down my whole system just idling.

4. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Yes, 4GB will help. Which windows are you using? You really should consider xp if you're using another. I use xp and I allocate 1GB of virtual memory for it. It runs better than it would on a pc.
    About having to restart windows more often than OS X... that sounds correct although I use suspend and resume quite often. It seems like windows automatic update restarts windows often enough so that I rarely have to restart manually.
    Also Parallels 5.0 runs much better and seems to run faster than previous versions.
    The updating process (RAM, Snow Leopard, Parallels, and a backup) will probably take about 4-5 hours total.

5. softwareguy256 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I'm using XP, 512 MB allocation or auto I think. My disk thrashes very badly when the VM is just idling. I listened closely and could hear the disk reads, my page in/ page out ratio is about 50%. I get that swirly thingie all the time just switching apps. All it takes to bog my system down:

Parallels with XP conservative RAM
    Safari
    Firefox
    Xcode
    Interface builder

I only need XP to run developer studio 2005 and MS office.

Not sure if I'm ready to upgrade to snow-leopard or parallels 5, can you tell me how much better % wise? I've decided to stop being a cheap ass and to upgrade to 4 GB. I find myself talking myself out of launching parallels whenever I need to do something in windows. This is not good.

Oh yeah my iphone software developer subscription expired, another $100
    Just bought applecare $200
    4GB ram $100
    snow leopard parallels ANOTHER $100

These $100's start adding up!

Let's hope no new battery... that would be yet another $100!