Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

czeluff

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
Hello,

I have a new C2D MBP, and the latest version of Parallels (1970). When I installed it, and tried to use the USB pen drive, it says that the device is in use, and I should try waiting 5-10 seconds, or try shutting off whatever is currently using the pen drive. I can't find ANY way to fix this. I've tried:

1. Wiping/reinstalling MAC OSX then installing Parallels FIRST before anything else.
2. Formatting the partition in both FAT and NTFS
3. Tried older version of Parallels (1940)
4. tried other pen drives; also it does the same thing when i try to add in the Apple Wireless of Infrared. (Note: iSight, gets added into Windows without error, except that no driver exists).

So it seems like i've done EVERYTHING. Does the USB problems exist on any other C2D MBPs? If it's a widely known problem then i wont worry about it, but i'm thinking maybe its just my own.

chad

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
i know you're looking for feedback specifically on C2D mabook pros, but i encountered this exact problem on a co-worker's 17" core duo mpb (he was kind enough to let me borrow it since i only had a powerbook at the time). we couldn't find anyway around the problem either. unfortunately, the whole reason i was using parallels was to use a windows-only updater for my sony ericsson phone via usb, so it was quite frustrating. in the end, i installed windows via bootcamp to get it to work - no usb problems that way...

i'd be anxious to hear any workarounds to this problem as well - with my macbook and future windows-only updates for my phone, i'd prefer to use parallels over bootcamp.

I Am

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2006
It's my understanding that Parallels can't address any USB 2.0 devices. My Shuffle and USB drives are inaccessible to Parallels, however, my USB 1.1 camera shows up just fine.

Parallels' website says the problem should be fixed by the end of the year.

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
It's my understanding that Parallels can't address any USB 2.0 devices. My Shuffle and USB drives are inaccessible to Parallels, however, my USB 1.1 camera shows up just fine.

Parallels' website says the problem should be fixed by the end of the year.

you know, i hadn't thought that it was a parallels issue and not a problem with the macbook i'd borrowed. thanks for pointing this out. guess i'll wait for the next version of parallels to see how this works out...

kmitchell

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2006
Try using a USB 1.1 hub connected to the MBP

I don't have one handy or I'd try this out tonight.

Try plugging a USB 1.1 hub into the MBP and then plug the USB 2.0 device into the 1.1 hub. From what I remember of the USB 2.0 spec, a 2.0 device will act like a 1.1 device when plugged into a 1.1 hub.

Worth a try,
Ken

PS. I've got a 1.1 hub in my desk at work so I'll try this out tomorrow morning.

alexb233

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2006
I have the EXACT same problem...
that makes me feel better, must be an issue with parallel
i have a usb 1.1 hub, but too lazy to try that
and the device i was trying to connect is usb 1.1 anyways, so go figure!

kmitchell

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2006
USB 1.1 Hub doesn't help

I tried with a USB 1.1 hub and it still doesn't work.

From reading the previous post related to kernel extensions, it appears that the busy problem is caused by kernel extensions being loaded by OS X and Parallels not being able to tell the OS to release the device so it can grab it.

I don't think this is a 1.1 vs. 2.0 issue because the iSight built into the MBP is USB 2.0 according to the system profiler and Parallels detects it when you attach it to a VM.

Ken

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.