Parallels Using Bootcamp ?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Washac, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Washac, Jun 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2015

Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

Thought I would try Parallels 9 using my Bootcamp as the virtual machine.

Got it all setup OK, my Bootcamp Windows all opens up OK, but Parallels is not recognizing my video card, when I try to run games I get Issues and this error message -

Sorry but your machine is unable to run this game, it requires a graphics card that supports shader model 3, the game will now exit.

Or games set themselves into low graphics setting.

The games all run fine when I boot directly into Bootcamp.

Also the games run fine if on installing Parallels I create its own VM to use.

2. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

If you go into your device manager from the VM, you'll see that your GPU is not listed as AMD/NVIDIA/Intel but rather as a Parallels virtual device. The GPU emulation has a much more limited feature set. If what you're trying to play uses DirectX 11, for example, it's not going to run under Parallels.

3. iF34R macrumors 6502a

iF34R

Do you have DirectX updated? Is it selected in the config for Parallels? Your card supports Shader 5.0.

4. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

Things are set up no different to any other Virtual Machine that I create where everything runs fine.

5. iF34R macrumors 6502a

iF34R

Are your settings as such:

[​IMG]

6. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

Yes exactly.

It all works fine as long as I do not point Parallels towards Bootcamp.

7. iF34R macrumors 6502a

iF34R

That's odd. How are the settings when you boot straight to bootcamp? GPU drivers all updated, etc. ?

8. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

Yup.

I am wondering if the problem is caused by the fact that the Bootcamp partition that I point Parallels towards is on a another drive, not the drive where I run Parallels.

9. iF34R macrumors 6502a

iF34R

That's interesting.. I'll get one of my usb hdd and setup bootcamp then parallels and see if I get the same results.

10. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Out of curiosity, have you tried using VMWare? Parallels 9, and especially 10, were very problematic for me when creating a VM out of my Boot Camp partition. The latter worked precisely once before crashing and refusing to start the VM ever again. I switched to VMWare Fusion and all has been well ever since. Its gaming performance isn't as good as Parallels, but the only games I ever play through the VM are much older titles and emulators that don't have Mac ports, and it works just fine.

11. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

Installed a trial copy VMware Fusion 7 today and got exactly the same issues :(

12. iF34R macrumors 6502a

iF34R

13. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

As in my sig Mavericks 10.9.5 and Parallels 9.

14. iF34R macrumors 6502a

iF34R

Can you give me a specific game that you have this problem with? Is it on Steam, etc.? Also, the build number for Parallels.

15. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

Thanks for trying to help but I have given up with this idea now, I have spent today trying to get Parallels to boot into my Bootcamp partition with everything working as it should. I got to the point where it would not even boot into Bootcamp windows without throwing up errors, I really cannot waste anymore time on this. I will just carry on using Parallels with its own VM, and running Bootamp on my other drive,thanks for your time though appreciated, at least that way everything works :)

16. iF34R macrumors 6502a

iF34R

I still want to try and get an idea of where the problem stems from lol. Send me a message or reply here, and at least give me a couple game names and I'll test 'em out and see if I can duplicate the issues.

17. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

Tried again this morning just to get a few things straight, did not do anything any different and the game ran all be it in a laggy fashion, but it did load, why ? I have no idea.

Parallels build 9.0.24251
    Game - LEGO: Jurassic World, its on steam, I know, Iknow, I stopped using steam sometime ago now, but the game was purchased as a gift to me.

18. iF34R macrumors 6502a

iF34R

Lol. It's ok, I'll look into it. You're on the latest Parallels build for sure. I wonder if it might be that you're not updated on the OS side?? I'll maybe do an install of Mavs and see what I can get.

19. iF34R macrumors 6502a

iF34R

I got the game running in Parallels (bootcamp).

20. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

Oh well, thanks for looking into this, may mess a about with it again just to see if I can get it working on day.

21. iF34R macrumors 6502a

iF34R

22. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

Hmmm maybe but the Bootcamp partition and games I run in it all work fine.

23. iF34R macrumors 6502a

iF34R

Maybe bad import? Dunno really lol. Do ANY games work via parallels when using bootcamp? Older games?

24. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

For some reason I did not try and as I said at this moment in time Bootcamp works fine and Parallels works fine so happy with things, seems I just must not mix them :)

Just tried again and everything within Bootcamp via Parallels is just really laggy, time to stop this now, taking up to much time.