Parallels using too much disk space

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by why me?, Jul 1, 2012.

1. why me? macrumors newbie

Parallels 6.0 is using about twice the amount of disk space (120 GB) as required by my files. At one time I tried using the "snapshot" feature in Parallels which took up a lot of storage. Now that I use Time Machine and Time Capsule for backing up, there is no need for snapshots. I have since tried to delete the snapshots but Parellels won't let me saying the files are corrupt. In every other respect the Windows XP OS has been working fine. Parallels support has been less than helpful in solving this problem. I would really love to delete the snapshots. What are my options, if any, short of completely reinstalling my Windows operating system, apps and files? Because of this problem, I have been reluctant to upgrade to Parallels version 7 as it might simply import corrupted snapshot files into the new version of Parallels.

2. murphychris macrumors 6502a

Once corrupt, if support can't help, this is what you need to do: Consider your data at risk, back it up, and migrate it to a new virtual disk. You shouldn't even use the virtual disk beyond that which is necessary to get the data out of it, as your data is currently at risk. The more you use it, the more corrupt the disk will likely get and the data in it. Upgrading is likely to make the problem worse, not better.

3. why me? thread starter macrumors newbie

I've been living with this issue for some time...a good year or so. But I backup everything regularly using Time Machine wirelessly to a Time Capsule (at home) and also to a portable 500GB G-Drive for travel. I'd very much like to fix the problem. Basis your advice, I will not upgrade to v.7 until its fixed.

What is the easiest and quickest way to migrate my data and applications? My Windows XP VM is fairly complex. I'd hate to have to reinstall all apps from scratch.

4. murphychris macrumors 6502a

You're backing up corrupt data, which means you can only restore corrupt data. The length of time only indicates how long you're willing to tolerate a bad situation.

Best practices dictates that you reinstall everything from scratch. It's the only way to remove the potential for corrupt files inside a corrupt virtual disk. Even your data could be corrupt in unpredictable ways. That is the easiest and quickest way because it will avoid problems down the road. If you try to go quick and easy in the short term, you have a high risk of reincorporating corrupt files into the new virtual disk.

5. why me?, Jul 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2012

why me? thread starter macrumors newbie

I suppose I will have to create a new XP VM and start re-installing the apps. Once completed, then move my data files over to it. I would have to do this concurrent to using my existing corrupted VM. After completing the move and backing it up properly, I will delete the corrupt VM.

Thank you for your clear and helpful advice.

Is there any way to make a duplicate copy or clone of the newly created VM & apps (before loading my data files into it) in case my "working" VM ever becomes corrupted again? This would save the hassle of creating a new VM from scratch...I basically do not trust Parallels and have had corruption issues with past versions of it.