Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac Pro 5GB

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2007
Silicon Valley
Ok, so far going to Full Screen doesn't work like it used to. It used to set the resolution of the virtual OS to the host OS, now it doesn't. Great!

Go to preferences and go to the "appearance" tab and turn off the check box that says Full Screen: - Change Mac OS X resolution. Turn off the check box and you will be working fine.

RojoLeo

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2007
Austin, TX
OK, official word from Parallels: everyone who ordered after May 1st will be receiving an e-mail in the next few days with their FREE upgrade information.

Whew!

So... will this provide 3D acceleration equivalent to that on Boot Camp?

I mean, if I run say, WoW on boot camp, will I get the same fps etc. by running it now on Parralels?

Why run WoW virtually when the install CDs also support OSX?

phil83

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2006
Washington, DC
Games

Now that their is directx support and such, will some one try out a first person shooter game like halflife2 or something and see how well it plays?:D

mrwilly123

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2003
Now that their is directx support and such, will some one try out a first person shooter game like halflife2 or something and see how well it plays?:D

I've tried HL2:EP1, and GTA:SA....but neither will launch.

Now, I haven't really given either game very much time to try and launch, and I'm on my way out the door...so I'll try again later tonight...

astronot

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2006
Colorado
Free upgrades

Did anyone else here buy Parallels 2 when they had the "free upgrades for a year" promotion? Over on the parallels forum, there had been some grumbling that this wouldn't cover the upgrade to 3, and the parallels folks never said otherwise. Like lots of other people, one of the main reasons I bought 2.x instead of waiting was because of this upgrade special. I'd be :mad: if they don't honor that. Just wondering if anyone has received an email about this yet?

Here's the original email, in case anyone's interested:

Thank you for purchasing Parallels Desktop for Mac, the industry's most powerful and user-friendly virtualization solution!

This copy includes free Upgrade Protection for one year following the date of purchase, which entitles you to receive all major upgrades released during that timeframe at no additional cost. When a new major version is released, you will receive an email to the address you used to register the product that includes instructions on how to download and install the new version, and a permanent activation key that is compatible with the new version.

himansk

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2006
Did anyone else here buy Parallels 2 when they had the "free upgrades for a year" promotion? Over on the parallels forum, there had been some grumbling that this wouldn't cover the upgrade to 3, and the parallels folks never said otherwise. Like lots of other people, one of the main reasons I bought 2.x instead of waiting was because of this upgrade special. I'd be :mad: if they don't honor that. Just wondering if anyone has received an email about this yet?

Thank you for purchasing Parallels Desktop for Mac, the industry's most powerful and user-friendly virtualization solution!

This copy includes free Upgrade Protection for one year following the date of purchase, which entitles you to receive all major upgrades released during that timeframe at no additional cost. When a new major version is released, you will receive an email to the address you used to register the product that includes instructions on how to download and install the new version, and a permanent activation key that is compatible with the new version.

I am waiting on more info from parallels too.

Mac Pro 5GB

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2007
Silicon Valley
I've tried HL2:EP1, and GTA:SA....but neither will launch.

Now, I haven't really given either game very much time to try and launch, and I'm on my way out the door...so I'll try again later tonight...

Did you go to the VM configuration settings page and go to the video settings and then enable DirectX support? This is not on by default, you have to enable it.

azizane

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2006
well since my f.e.a.r game hasn't arrived yet i thought why not try frets on fire ( freeware guitar hero like game) and guess what it doesn't launch. even set the video ram to 64 MB

the game specs are:

128 MB of RAM
A fairly fast OpenGL graphics card with decent drivers
Windows: Direct X compatible sound card

spookje

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2006
OpenGL support is non-existant here. That I even wasted time installing this buggy software. Can't even launch Fusion 5.1 LE.

macinfojunkie

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2005
Screw Parallels...... I don't ask for it for free but you know their product ain't cheap. I would expect some sort of thank you for dropping that kind of cash on their product. But no.

Parallels is hardly expensive is it? full retail is well under $100 and the recent upgrade is a give-away price. I'm anticipating the VMWare solution to be a lot more expensive.

I expect you don't have much in the way of Adobe, Microsoft or (non-i) Apple software on your Mac then?

RojoLeo

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2007
Austin, TX

Official word from their forum FAQ:

Q: I bought Parallels Desktop during the last Christmas Holidays with the Upgrade Protection. And still I'm receiving and email about pre-order. Isn't I'm supposed to get all upgrades for free?
A: We have sent pre-order announcements to all of our registered customers. If you have Upgrade Protection or Maintenance purchased you'll receive your Parallels Desktop 3.0 key for free as soon as it goes GA.

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
Looking good!

I've been using v3 for about an hour or two.

My 3 VMs are running fine. XP (Boot Camp partition) is as good as it was before, now with DirectX working. DXDIAG reports DirectX 9.0c and the DirectDraw and Direct3d tests run as expected. The spinning cube in the test seems nice and smooth. Tomorrow I'll grab my firewire drive containing my Boot Camp game installs and try a few. I'm certainly not expecting miracles, but it'll be interesting to see.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
If I remember correctly you are entitled to a free upgrade if you purchased Parallels v2 on or after June 1.

What's the upgrade price for those who bought earlier? I can't imagine it could be that much on $79 software.

notsofatjames

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Wales, UK
Oh, this is a pickle.

I purchased my key on [size=+1] May 31st[/size]

Hoping they'll give me some leeway, official policy says anyone who bought after May 1st gets a free upgrade

I may be missing something here, but isnt MAY 31ST after May 1st?

Upgrades is always good, but before you know it it could be that windows and mac run seamlessly together, which i would not want. Wouldn't that basically open you up to viruses. Im happy to keep them separated. I'd best go post over on the boot camp thread...

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Parallels is hardly expensive is it? full retail is well under $100 and the recent upgrade is a give-away price. I'm anticipating the VMWare solution to be a lot more expensive.

No doubt. I bought Parallels v2 last year for only $39.99, and got the upgrade to version 3 for the same $39.99 this time around as well. It's an absolute bargain considering what you get, and I highly doubt that VMWare will come anywhere near those prices based on their history...

speakerwizard

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2006
London
i havnt recieved my free serial yet (only bought and registered about a week and a half ago) should i be getting worried? :s

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Can't get my original serial number accepted!

Just downloaded and installed 3.0, entered the upgrade serial number with no problem, tried to enter my original serial number and get the message "Invalid Activation Key"

So I'm stuck now with no way to get Parallels running, brilliant :(

Anyone got any ideas?

DsurioN

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2007
Damn, Direct3D doesn't seem to work for me, dxdiag still says it's not supported:

dxdiag.jpg

EDIT: Oops my bad, it seems it is not enabled by default, you have to enable it in the VM settings.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Not everybody is comfortable using beta software. Especially when it comes to running an additional operating system! :)

Given that Parallels' support is non-existent, I don't actually see how running a non-beta Parallels is any better than a beta VMware. :p

Yeah I'm a paying Parallels customer, but unless Parallels (the company) does a major turn-around between now and when VMware is released I'm jumping ship.

If I remember correctly you are entitled to a free upgrade if you purchased Parallels v2 on or after June 1.

Good luck with that, since it'll require interaction with their (theoretical) support team...

akac

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2003
Colorado
Glad to see it

Glad to see it out. Surprised to see it out before WWDC. But even as a registered Parallels user they have lost me to VMWare. Simple reasons:
1) 64-bit support. Windows just runs much faster in 64-bit mode. This has nothing to do with 64-bitness itself, but because of the extra registers and other improvements in the x64 arch. I was hoping Parallels was going to have this in 3.0, the said it was planed for 3.0 in the past.
2) VMWare just exudes professionalism and their beta support has been phenomenal.
3) Unity looks to be a far better implementation done right the first time.
4) Parallels messes with system files for bootcamp, vmware doesn't.
5) Witt the same settings VMWare doesn't make OS X drag like Parallels does.

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia

Yes I'm one of them. My existing key doesn't work on version 3 and I have not received an email providing a new key. I emailed them but no reply.
Parallels has been removed from my HDD and I'll stick with Bootcamp.

kalisphoenix

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
Bah, it doesn't support 64-bit OS yet.

Looks like I'm waiting until 4.0. Not that it matters, I don't have an Intel Mac yet, but come October is when I make my purchase on a new Mac Pro and they better have that in there by then, or I'm going VM.

Wow. You really drive a hard bargain.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Glad to see it out. Surprised to see it out before WWDC.

I suspect they're trying to make as much cash as they can right now... just in case Apple announces that a 'secret feature' of Leopard is built-in Parallels-like integration with Windows.

artifex

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2003
So I just registered the previous version, which I got from Amazon on sale. Will I get a free upgrade key? Am I screwed? as I said over on TUAW, the support system on the website is really lame, through some 3rd party, so I don't want to have to start emailing through them unless/until I have to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.