Parallels v7 - Anyone running it yet?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by xraydoc, Sep 1, 2011.

1. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Parallels version 7 was released today (at least as an upgrade for users of previous versions).

One of the features added is Mac OS 10.7.x virtualization (client, not just server like in prior versions).

Anyone running version 7 yet? Care to comment on differences with version 6?

http://www.parallels.com/upgradepd7/

2. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Haha you save $20 because you had 6...what a rip off. Its like COD, here buy this new game, its the same as the last game but its 5 new maps!

3. xraydoc thread starter macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Well I haven't bought it yet, specifically because version 6 is working quite well. Which is why I'm curious to see what/if any new features are worth the upgrade price.

4. kevingaffney macrumors 6502a

I only use parallels6 because of my quickbooks software. Its working find with lion so can't see any reason to upgrade. Upgrade should be free anyway

5. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

I've been thinking of upgrading but, like you, I am not sure if it'll be worth it. I guess if the speed/performance improvements turn out to be significant, I'll bite.

6. WesCole macrumors 6502a

I upgraded this morning and can tell some improvement in general use. I haven't tried any graphic intensive applications, so I can't comment on that. I like the improvements so far and I think it was worth the money to upgrade.

Edit: a huge improvement I noticed was how suspend and resume are handled. It is much, much smoother and quicker than before.

I will keep up with this thread and updat my post as I find more improvements.

7. roxxette macrumors 68000

roxxette

well , fullscreen ala lion (mission control) is very smooth while working with both OS if you dont like coherenre mode (wich i personally think its fantastic) its a big plus but not really money upgrade worth it :eek: either way parellels now its faster , boots , resume , wake up etc fast and more smooth:)

8. likegadgets macrumors 6502

I see speed improvements in booting but my Isight camera is not working in Windows 7, and cannot reach support. I have a videoconferencing app I use all the time. so I ma have to downgrade back to 6

9. kasakka macrumors 68000

Does anyone know if Parallels can import .VHD files? We're considering using virtual machines for IE testing and MS only offers IE6-8 as VHD files. VMWare Fusion handles them just fine, butwhat about Parallels?

Any reason to choose Parallels over VMWare Fusion?

10. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Already installed Parallels 7 over Parallels 6 on my primary iMac.

Can Parallels 7 be installed on my 2nd Mac that has been running Parallels 6 ?

Or, do I have to buy another copy of Parallels 7 ???? :(

11. xraydoc thread starter macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Why don't you ask them?

12. likegadgets macrumors 6502

I just downgraded back to 6.

Boot speed was improved, but there are other problems, such as the iSight camera issues I mentioned, and users reporting Lion interface issues at their forum (which they censor).

Chatted with a clueless tech rep. You cannot call them unless you pay another $20 per incident, even if it is a known bug. Trying to get a refund is a subject they avoid. Fortunately AMEX will reverse the charge.

I will look again at 7 in a few weeks. My advice, if 6 is working, not worth going to 7.

13. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I've got Parallels 7. It has a bug that makes Aero not work properly with multiple monitors enabled. Minor annoyance to me - I'm sure the Parallels team will fix it soon enough.

14. reputationZed macrumors 65816

I've installed P6 on more than one Mac, I's say give installing P7 on a second Mac a try before you fork out any more dinero.

15. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....why not read the license agreement that came with the software. It seems to indicate that it's a *single computer* license:

and additionally:

Seems fairly clear to me....oh yeah!

16. lugesm, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2011

lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Thank you sooooo much, Duff-Man! Very clever - - - NOT. :rolleyes:

17. old-wiz macrumors G3

It's a shame that Apple won't allow virtualization of Snow Leopard client under Lion; that would really help those of us who have a legacy PPC program that we can't find a replacement for.

18. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Something as simple as this would suppress pretty much 50 percent of the complains from people going to Lion; of course, allowing this would allow people to stay "in the past" and, as we all know, Apple doesn't like this (Final Cut being one main example).

I think they know too many people would do it, continue to use 10.6, and they'd have to deal with it down the road. (For them), I guess it's better to just push us along as they feel need be.

19. BlindSoul macrumors 6502

I'm running it now and I don't notice any performance different. It just has more Lion features but not faster or anything.

20. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The Graphics section of my WEI went up a little with Parallels 7 (from 5.6 to 6.0). Surely that means something's better.

21. glennsan macrumors regular

I downloaded it today and played around a little with it. Seemed quicker at first glance but won't have an opportunity to check it out until later in the week. The only gripe I have with it is that once again the Parallels Tools did not load the first time. I always have to reboot and then load it manually. Go figure.

Glennsan

22. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I had that problem in 32-bit Vista. No such gripes in 64-bit Windows 7.

23. glennsan macrumors regular

Parallels

It must be a 32 bit thing then. I am running XP.

Glennsan

24. BrentT macrumors member

BrentT

Anyone seen what it costs to buy Windows through Parallels 7 Windows on Demand feature? It is listed in their web page but no mention of what can be bought or cost. If anyone has tried it, what was the installation experience?

25. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

i was going to hold off until their patch for non-Lion full screen operation was in place (Lion fullscreen is a disaster on my two display iMac), but since I need to use Parallels on my MacBook very soon I decided to buy and upgrade that install now.

I find it virtually* identical. It doesn't seem faster in booting or shutting down Windows 7 and the Windows Experience Index is unchanged in all its tests. Needless to say, I did the upgrade hoping for some performance improvements. From what I've seen, I don't think I'll be upgrading Parallels on my iMac.

*No joke intended.