Parallels / Vista Shutdown

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chezza, Dec 7, 2007.

1. chezza macrumors member

Hi,

Whenever I go through the vista shutdown procedure in Parallels, occasionally vista hangs (or seems to take ages as the spiny icon keeps spinning) for over 5 minutes, then crashes and re-starts.

Anyone else found this? It's using 512 of RAM (of the 1GB) and iv order 2GB to replace it, so other than an improvement in performance, can anyone see what's going wrong?

Many thanks - Chris.

2. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

I've had this same problem with Vista via Parallels on my MBP Chris. I have devoted 2 out of 4 gigs of RAM to it, so it runs pretty well, but heaven forbid I should have to shut it down or restart it. I dread Vista telling me I have updates because everytime I install it hangs at the restart and blue screens at least twice when I have to force quit/restart Parallels. Boo. :(

3. chezza thread starter macrumors member

is there anything i can do to NOT shutdown each time i stop using windows. can i 'save a session' or something, so that i can just execute parallels and it returns to my last session, even if i've shutdown my mac.

4. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

I actually had this with Parallels and XP. I switched to VMWare Fusion and it fixed everything.

5. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

Just use the "pause" feature instead of stopping it each time you close. With the virtual session not running you can also go into the Parallels preferences and tell it to suspend every time you quit the app instead of stopping it. That usually works for me.

6. Tshapi macrumors regular

The most important thing to realize is that both Vista and Leopard are hungry.

look at your Istat. RIGHT NOW, just using this my istat says i am using 566Gb of Ram out of 1Gb and this is only for leopard

Vista will run much better when you alot it at least 1 gb minimum even then it will run slow.

7. California King macrumors 65816

Yes, VMWare Fusion is a great product. I've tried both and VMWare seems to do a better job.

8. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

If you call Microsoft, they'll give you their standard answer:

"It's not a bug, it's a feature."

9. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

I will echo the sentiments above.

Switch to Fusion. It's 10 times better - especially with Leopard. Download the risk-free no-cost trial and see for yourself.

I ditched Parallels the moment I discovered Fusion. My main reason for switching was that Parallels did not function properly in Leopard. What's more, even in Tiger, my virtual machines would exhibit problems. I found fusion and couldn't be happier.

In the Virtual Machine Software world, Parallels is like Windows and Fusion is like OSX. You'll see what I mean once you try it.