Parallels VM vs Parallels Bootcamp Partition

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by davenz, Apr 14, 2013.

1. davenz macrumors regular

I am currently using windows 7 under a parallels VM.

I know you can use parallels to start up a VM of your bootcamp partition.

Is there any performance difference in using parallels to start the bootcamp partition compared to if you just had a win 7 VM set up in parallels? It seems like the best of two worlds as if you need a quick windows task you can just boot it up inside parallels, and if you need to do intensive tasks you can just shut down and start up bootcamp.

I want to make sure there is no downsides before I delete my windows 7 VM and just make parallels use the bootcamp partition.

Thanks,

2. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Here is an article from the parallels support site. There are some limitations of boot camp partitions:

3. Bear macrumors G3

The last thing listed above about not being able to compress it doesn't matter as it's a partition and not a file.

It sounds like you already have a boot camp partition? If so, the upside is you only have one windows install to maintain.

Of course you can always create another file based VM if you needed to do some testing and don't want to risk your main windows partition.

4. donjao macrumors member

And you would need to reactivate your Windows copy.

As of me, I did not notice any performance difference.