Parallels & Vmware and many other questions!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Earley008, Jan 20, 2009.

?

What do you use to run windows etc on mac

1. Boot Camp

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. Parallels

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. VMware

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Earley008 macrumors member

I am a student and i have lived without many programs which i only have windows versions of for ages so i am looking at running windows xp. I am only really interested in running parallels or vmware as for example for photoshop i will want to look up stuff in iPhoto etc. So i want to ask:

1) Is it worth using boot camp to sett it up and then import this into the emulator (i presume you can) then if i really need the speed i can boot in windows. However when I turn my mac on i sometimes leave it too start up so does mac osx boot unless you tell it to boot in windows or do you need to choose every time.

2) What one shall i pick? Parallels or vmware? The apple genius said he uses vmware after using parallel and that they supply free updates and that parallels do not. Is this true.

3) In demos of parallels i have seen cohesion where you can use expose etc as normal. Is there a similar feature in vmware.

4) (nothing to do with above) I read somewhere that you should have different partitions for you documents and your system and that this will make start up faster is this true. What does everyone else do?

Any advice will be helpful or links will be helpful

Sorry about the spellings and grammar

I forgot to add an option for a mixture

Thanx in advance

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

How about actually search or read the existing threads?
    Google: vmware parallels site:forums.macrumors.com

THOUSANDS of hits.

4. Earley008 thread starter macrumors member

I have had a look and i found some information but it did not answer all my questions and i would like some first hand experience information.

Thanks for the virtualbox idea i will have a look at that now.

5. Earley008 thread starter macrumors member

Okay i have been continuing my looking and decided that i will use bootcamp to set up xp. I will then use VMware and import the bootcamp machine.

This video gives you a good demo if you want to them in action
    http://revision3.com/systm/virtualpc/