Parallels/VMWare + USB headset = NOISE!!! - please help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jon08, Feb 19, 2010.

1. jon08 macrumors 65816

I use VOIP discount program to make calls on the home stationary phone and while it works perfectly well from BootCamp, I'm experiencing unbearable screeching noise as soon as I try to use my USB headset in Parallels/VMWare to make a call.

It's really frustrating as I thought that by installing the latter I wouldn't have to boot into BootCamp anymore solely for the purpose of using VOIP.

Could anything be done about it at all?

Please let me know.

2. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

In parallels and VMFusion they virtualize the USB bus, thus you will get MUCH less bandwidth then a non-virtualized machine. My experiences has been that you can't get more then 4 or 5 mbps across the interface. I send data via 2 115kbps links and even THAT has delays and other issues. My guess is that this is what your problem is, the sounds is just getting dropped, or cutup because of this. The headset is expecting data periodically, if it isn't being filled it just plays the random data in the buffer which sounds like screeching.

Not much you can do about it.

3. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

I read some discussions that it's an Apple's problem and they are aware of it; supposedly they will be fixing it with 10.6.3 - I really hope they do.

4. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yay, looks like the latest VMWare update fixed the problem!!