Parallels vs. Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by theman123, Jul 31, 2011.

1. theman123 macrumors member

I'm going to USF this fall and I'm going to need Windows 7. I'll be majoring in Finance.

I wont be playing any games, it will strictly be for school. Would Parallels be fast enough? Would it be better if I had Parallels or Boot Camp?

2. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

If your going to be running financial apps then Parallels will work fine for you. Just make sure you have at least 4Gigs of ram or else you might see some slowdowns.

3. theman123 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I have the 2011 base MBP.

4. SaintsMac macrumors 6502a

I agree that Parallels will work for you. I have been using the trial version of Parallels and it is working fine with me on spreadsheets and so forth.

Maybe you should try the trial version just to make sure you are happy with it.
    If you are, upgrade it. If not, go with Boot Camp.

5. mobimation, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011

mobimation macrumors newbie

The main feature of Parallels is that you can run OSX and Windows apps simultaneously,
    while BootCamp requires that you reboot your mac into BootCamp or OSX every time you want to switch between OSX and Windows.
    In my case for example I run almost everything on OSX but there is a company book-keeping app and other utilities that only run on Windows. Having the ability to pop these up from the OSX dock whenever I need it is just so effortless. Parallels to an extent blurs the distinctions between OSX and Windows and you find yourself caring less about what OS the app runs on.
    Great comfort and efficiency improvement in my opinion. I went for it last night on OSX Lion and installed a fresh Windows 7 64-bit. So far no issues.

6. TheZA macrumors regular

Should be fine. Have you tried VirtualBox? It's free.

7. BucklandIT macrumors newbie

BucklandIT

Parallels just works

I agree with you SaintsMac, trial the software first. I must admit though that the coherence mode ROCKS! I use a few VM's to troubleshoot and test user data and it integrates seemlessly into my MacBook.

Max your RAM and you won't go wrong. :)

8. sgtbob macrumors regular

sgtbob

Coherence

Could someone help me out by a definition of 'coherence' or point me to a site explaining it? I seem to have it on my iMAC (running Parallels 6 and Windows 7), but do not understand it nor can I find a discussion on the web about its use. It seems to mimic my Parallels feature, but I do not understand how it works.

Bob

9. Hyper-X macrumors 6502a

http://kb.parallels.com/4670