Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macnfab

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2009
NorthEast IN
Which do you prefer and why? I am going to be running one on the imac I am about to buy. I don't wanna fool with heavy burning on my MacBook, but I will get down to it on iMac. I have pretty much given up on finding a good decryption program for mac.. many headaches later I have decided to run something so I can use my windows programs to back up my dvd's.

When I put windows on mac, in theory I open it up to the same crap windows has viruses/spy-adware etc ... ughhhh
What do you use to keep your mac safe and sound when running windows?

Thanks for any advice you can offer!:D

devburke

Oct 16, 2008
Which do you prefer and why? I am going to be running one on the imac I am about to buy. I don't wanna fool with heavy burning on my MacBook, but I will get down to it on iMac. I have pretty much given up on finding a good decryption program for mac.. many headaches later I have decided to run something so I can use my windows programs to back up my dvd's.

When I put windows on mac, in theory I open it up to the same crap windows has viruses/spy-adware etc ... ughhhh
What do you use to keep your mac safe and sound when running windows?

Thanks for any advice you can offer!:D

Well with Boot Camp, you don’t have to buy anything else (other than Windows, of course). There’s also VMWare Fusion, but I don’t use Windows or do any virtualizing, so I can’t offer much advice on which of FMWare or Parallels is better, except that Parallels can boot into a Boot Camp partition, meaning you wouldn’t have to choose! You could boot natively into Windows, and later run the same Windows inside OS X with Parallels.

As for backing up your DVDs, if you just want to rip a video, have you tried Handbrake? It’s the widely accepted way to go on OS X. If you’re trying to rip the whole DVD as a disk image, go for MacTheRipper.

But if you insist on using Windows, your Mac partition should actually be safe from the viruses. If you virtualize, it shouldn’t even know it’s being virtualized, and won’t have access to anything outside the virtual machine. If you use Boot Camp, the Boot Camp drivers only give Windows read support, no write support. So basically, Windows is as vulnerable as ever, but your OS X should be safe.

macnfab

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2009
NorthEast IN
Thanks for the input. I don't want to use windows but there just isn't a program for mac comparable to AnyDVD which is my decryption for Windows. I have tried mac the ripper. it works great on dvd's with low level encryption. never tried handbrake.. but I am looking to make a dvd 2 dvd copy compressed, for this i use and love DVD2oneX (very nice program) but without proper decryption and UDF (standard dvd format) that program is worthless too.. I just want an easy way to back of my movies, before my kids get ahold of them.

On my old windows I use 1ClickCopyDVD (compress and burn) and AnyDvd handles all the decryption they can make. So I am torn. I am a totall mac convert, every other task I have can be done better, fast and more fun on mac except this one.. backing up my movies isn't a habit I can give up with 3 kids and a husband:D I need a reliable program to take care of me, on the fly in the back ground. Someone should really make an AnyDVD for MAC they would make a fortune!!!!

devburke

Oct 16, 2008
Thanks for the input. I don't want to use windows but there just isn't a program for mac comparable to AnyDVD which is my decryption for Windows. I have tried mac the ripper. it works great on dvd's with low level encryption. never tried handbrake.. but I am looking to make a dvd 2 dvd copy compressed, for this i use and love DVD2oneX (very nice program) but without proper decryption and UDF (standard dvd format) that program is worthless too.. I just want an easy way to back of my movies, before my kids get ahold of them.

On my old windows I use 1ClickCopyDVD (compress and burn) and AnyDvd handles all the decryption they can make. So I am torn. I am a totall mac convert, every other task I have can be done better, fast and more fun on mac except this one.. backing up my movies isn't a habit I can give up with 3 kids and a husband:D I need a reliable program to take care of me, on the fly in the back ground. Someone should really make an AnyDVD for MAC they would make a fortune!!!!

Hm...well I haven't really done what you're looking to do, so I don't know what software to recommend. I'd try making a post in the Mac Applications section asking for recommendations before giving up on finding a good OS X solution though!

oingoboingo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Well with Boot Camp, you don’t have to buy anything else (other than Windows, of course). There’s also VMWare Fusion, but I don’t use Windows or do any virtualizing, so I can’t offer much advice on which of FMWare or Parallels is better, except that Parallels can boot into a Boot Camp partition, meaning you wouldn’t have to choose! You could boot natively into Windows, and later run the same Windows inside OS X with Parallels.

VMWare also allows booting a virtual machine from a pre-existing Boot Camp installation of Windows.

macnfab

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2009
NorthEast IN
I will look at that thank you!

I need to hear more from bootcamp users/virtual system users PLEASE!
I am really uncertain of compromising the security of my mac, this being the #1 reason for my switch from Windows. But until Mac can create a decryption program like I need I may have no choice.

I have been reading about it for days!! My eyes hurt..

Bootcamp native? open to everything a windows is correct?
Virtual/Parallels/etc is safer? maybe? more like running osx and never leaving? :confused:

Any input welcome!:apple::apple:

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
Bootcamp native? open to everything a windows is correct?
Virtual/Parallels/etc is safer? maybe? more like running osx and never leaving? :confused:
I actually use AnyDVD along with 1click via Parallels 4 with no problems.

I've never used bootcamp for 2 reasons:
1.) fixed size partition (wasted space)
2.) can't use the "mac side" while using windows

Parallels is nice because if you just want to use Windows for a few things, you can create a small virtual drive that grows with your needs. Mine is only 4GB in size right now (running XP and few odds and ends).

I tried a Fusion demo once and while it looks easier to configure it didn't feel as snappy to me as Parallels.

And yes, when using Windows you are opening yourself up to the same viral, malware attacks like any other Windows user. But those will not effect your mac side. Personally, I just avoid the web while on the Windows side and switch to the mac for this as both OS's can run their tasks simultaneously.

macnfab

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2009
NorthEast IN
I actually use AnyDVD along with 1click via Parallels 4 with no problems.

I've never used bootcamp for 2 reasons:
1.) fixed size partition (wasted space)
2.) can't use the "mac side" while using windows

Parallels is nice because if you just want to use Windows for a few things, you can create a small virtual drive that grows with your needs. Mine is only 4GB in size right now (running XP and few odds and ends).

I tried a Fusion demo once and while it looks easier to configure it didn't feel as snappy to me as Parallels.

And yes, when using Windows you are opening yourself up to the same viral, malware attacks like any other Windows user. But those will not effect your mac side. Personally, I just avoid the web while on the Windows side and switch to the mac for this as both OS's can run their tasks simultaneously.

Thank you!! I would only need the web for updating those 2 softwares!! I think this sounds like the way to go for me!!!:D

macnfab

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2009
NorthEast IN
One more question, do you need any additional softwares with parallels? Or just the windows OS? and whatever win softwares your planning you use??

Thanks again!:apple::apple:

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
One more question, do you need any additional softwares with parallels? Or just the windows OS? and whatever win softwares your planning you use??

Thanks again!:apple::apple:

Like for any Windows machine you need a security suite, if you go with Parallels Desktop it includes the Karpasky so you are covered.
Be aware that you need at least Windows XP SP2.
Off course you need the Windows software that you are going to use.

macnfab

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2009
NorthEast IN
okay Thanks.. so this may seem like a dumb question but... The back up restore disc that comes with all windows machines that have the logo of your pc manufacturer on them.. will they work? or does it have to be a fresh OS only disc you buy?

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Well those licenses are supposed to be only used with the hardware they are linked to, for example a Dell CD is to be used with that particular Dell laptop.
Legal things...

macnfab

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2009
NorthEast IN
gotcha'.. I figured because it was mine (and has never been used) it was okay. I will hunt for a fresh copy! Thanks you have been very helpful. I think parallels is the way to go for me!

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
Why not both? install in Boot Camp, then launch from Parallels, if you ever need to, you can just Boot into Windows to get the full native speed.

I do this with Windows 7, dual boot for gaming, and leave it open in Parallels when I don't need to game:p

Kind Regards

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
I believe Parallels 5.0 Desktop for Mac might come out sometime soon, I could be wrong, there is a Beta of it atm, but it might be better to wait, or perhaps just buy Parallels 4.0, then upgrade to 5, I don't know, just thought I'd mention that

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
At home we use VMWare Fusion. A friend has Parallels. Between the 2 I prefer Fusion. Just managing USB connections is easier in Fusion than Parallels.

macnfab

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2009
NorthEast IN
Thanks everyone the input has been great. I did a full set up for my mom on her new iMac with XP sp3 and parallels along with the software needed.. it was a breeze and is working like a dream. I will likely do a carbon copy for myself when I get my iMac..

Although I can get windows 7 ultra premium (or something like that?) from my school for a good prce.. I have never touched 7 I know if it's resembles vista in any way you couldn't give it to me for free:rolleyes:

thoughts on 7?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.