Parallels vs Fusion

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by galaksy, Nov 26, 2014.

1. galaksy macrumors 6502

2. lionkin macrumors regular

lionkin

I never use none of them. I own windows gaming rig. I like to install ubuntu on my macbook pro non-retina.

3. BubbaMc macrumors regular

In that case why even bother replying?

4. lionkin macrumors regular

lionkin

I hope I did not offend anyone at all especially you. :D

----------

Ok I will give you better answer and I hope it benefits you. A lot of my friends told me parallel was better choice. They recommended me many times. In the future I will try it.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Neither, rather which one best fits your needs.

I prefer Vmware, but I've used Parallels in the past as well. Here's my thoughts.

Parallels usually has faster upgrades, and offers more features with the upgrade. Plus it performs faster for some games (though I still wouldn't play games in a VM). The downside is that Parallels tends to be buggier and more unstable. Plus there tech support has been lacking in the past. One of the knocks on Parallels lately is that you are required to upgrade every year. Somehow it doesn't work with the next version of OS X.

Vmware Fusion is a more stable product, its tech support is top notch. It too generally comes out with annual upgrades but the scope is smaller and generally less buggy. Unlike Parallels you can generally stick with an older version of Fusion while upgrading to a newer version of OS X. I don'y upgrade every year but every other or every third version.

It all boils down to personal preference, both offer free trials, so go and try both.

[MOD NOTE]
    Putting on my moderator hat, I moved this thread from the MacBook Pro forum to the Mac Apps forum as this is the proper location for such discussions.

6. JoelTheSuperior macrumors 6502

JoelTheSuperior

Which one is better is hard to say - VMware imho is the more mature product but I'm currently using Parallels just because it feels a lot smoother in my experience, especially when running Windows in high-DPI mode.

It has some minor issues that bother me but on the whole I prefer it to VMware, even though I'm quite happy to run it on my servers (ESXi).

7. airlog macrumors newbie

One advantage of Fusion is the license, which states:

8. shaunp macrumors 65816

The answer is, it depends. My advice to you would be to download the trial version of both and try them out for yourself and decide which one best meets you needs.

I've used both and used to prefer Parallels because at the time the integration with OS X was better. Now I need better compatibility, reliability and the ability to run ESXi in a VM. I don't tend to virtualise a Windows desktop to run a specific app any longer, but instead I use it to build test environments and I push it quite hard. VMware is a a more mature product in this respect and works for me. Your requirements may be different.