Parallels vs VMware vs CrossOver for SmartDraw on Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by swillion, Aug 27, 2011.

1. swillion macrumors newbie

Good news! I am just about to transition from a PC to Mac user (just like my brother did couple of years ago, and he's loving it.) I've used his Macbook Pro quite a bit and it's definitely the best way forward. Also, the primary work station at a company I worked for in the past, used to be an eMac.

Alrighty then... I'd still like to use some PC software on the Mac. Particularly SmartDraw, to create "Process Maps", "Mindmaps", "Swimlanes", etc...

After some research on Mac alternatives, I discovered that OmniGraffle and LucidChart have good reviews. However, SmartDraw seems way better... And they do not have a Mac version (yet).

Would Parallels, VMware or CrossOver load SmartDraw properly on a Mac?

- Swarup

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Vmware and Parallels virtualize windows so for all intents and purposes its running windows so just about any windows program will work. CrossOver on the otherhand usess Wine which is a set of APIs that duplicate (or attempt to duplicate) window's APIs. In theory programs should run faster under Crossover but they rarely run at all.

My opinion is go with Vmware or parallels

3. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

I've had problems with apps in Wine (and by extension Crossover). I also own the latest versions of Parallels and Vmware, I prefer Parallels. But don't pay full price for either unless you're in a hurry, particularly Parallels is often on sale in one bundle or another.

4. SpinalTap macrumors regular

SpinalTap

CrossOver Mac 14 is available as a free trial, so try it first before passing judgement.

I use Parallels and CrossOver.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Given that this thread is coming near the 4 year mark, I think the OP already passed judgement :)

With CrossOver you need to see what apps work and don't work before deciding on that solution. I can't speak for version 14 but prior versions could not run the latest version of MS Office. That was a deal break for me.

6. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

When I need to run a piece of Windows software, this is my priority:
    • Find a native version or alternative
    • Attempt to run it via WINE (CrossOver/WineSkin Winery)
    • Run the Windows app in Virtualbox

7. SpinalTap macrumors regular

SpinalTap

Rest assured, CrossOver Mac 14 now successfully runs all MS Office apps (including Access).

8. Rae99x macrumors newbie