Parallels w/ Thunderbolt display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by whdigital, Jun 25, 2012.

1. whdigital macrumors regular

Forgive me if I'm asking an obvious question, but I'm curious about running Parallels w/Win7 (on cMBP) connected to Thunderbolt display. Anything about the TB bus that Windows has problems with somehow?

2. mgodave macrumors newbie

I can't imagine that windows will know anything about thunderbolt. The Virtual machine presents windows with a generic display, one which windows knows how to use. In addition, parallels will handle the thunderbolt through the host OS (OSX).

tldr; you should be fine.

3. whdigital thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info...

I did just read on Apple's site that with Bootcamp anyway you can't plug in TB display on the fly as Win doesn't recognize TB bus at anytime past startup. I imagine the same would hold true for Parallels, but that would really suck if it drops it if Parallels is just minimized. :(

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

That's only when using Windows as your native OS (via Bootcamp).

When using it a VM, Windows has no awareness of whether or not it is being displayed through a TB display. Windows displays to a virtual screen created by Parallels. Parallels and OSX handle how that gets displayed on your physical screens, not Windows.

5. whdigital thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, was looking for justification of dual use for TB display and that does it! :D