Parallels- What Is This?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macro, Jan 24, 2008.

1. macro macrumors member

Did a search and found it too convoluted to answer my question. I am thinking in terms of games, NOT an install of windows if that is possible. What are the benefits of parallels and what are the drawbacks; objectively? What can be run with parallels? I am totally ignorant of this software and needing clarification. New to Mac.

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

A quick google search on parallels should helped you. Here is their web site.

3. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Parallels (and VMWare's Fusion) are a breed of software known as Virtual Machines. That is, they are software that pretends to be hardware. This is nice because it allows you to install and run a full copy of Windows (or Linux or BSD or whatever) directly inside Mac OS X.

That said, a virtual machine without an operating system will act the same way a computer without an operating system will. So, if you're interested in running games in Parallels, you'll need a operating system on which to run them, and my guess is you'll want Windows.

Hope that helps.

4. macro thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I was wondering what was what vs boot camp and parallels. Sounds like different software with the same result.

5. tjevans macrumors member

tjevans

Not really . . .

Boot Camp is a way of running Windows natively on a mac. That is, you are running the windows operating system on the mac hardware.

Parallels and Fusion are, as they said above, software that imitates hardware. Using those applications, Windows thinks the software is the computer on which it is running.

If you are interested in running windows for gaming, you'll get much better results running boot camp than you will a virtual machine.

6. macro thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, I have been remiss in getting back to this thread. The reason I went back to Mac after all these years was to get out of the Windows problems.

I suppose that Windows will run well on a Mac Pro if it is not directed to the internet. I certainly don't want Windows to screw up my investment on the Mac.

What are the general problems should I make the inane decision, my fault if I do, to run Windows on the Mac Pro yet keep Windows off the internet?

Is the Windows a problem by itself or is the majority of its problems the garbage of the internet?

I would like to have access to some adventure games but not to the crap of the 'net which occurs with Windows.

Just not sure what to do. I would have to buy a Windows OS to do this at any rate. My Windows are all manufacturers software.

7. tjevans macrumors member

tjevans

IMO, if you just have a clean windows install and the game(s) you play, you probably won't have many problems. Most of the problems I experienced with windows came from software conflicts.

8. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

Windows is not as bad as some people claim. If you're careful about what you do and download, you won't have a problem. It is very hard to just go to a website now and get a virus without any user intervention.

If you install Windows on your Mac, you will be fine. Just be careful and don't browse the 'net a lot on the Windows side if you are that worried about it. But I would leave the Internet connection running so Windows can update itself.

Also, since you're going to be gaming, get XP. It uses less resources than Vista. Unless you want DirectX 10, then you'll have no choice but to use Vista.