Parallels - Which is best for Mac Pro?

ammon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2005
Colorado
So now that my Mac Pro is almost here I am looking at getting a virtual machine for it.

Parallels has their "Desktop" and their "Workstation" virtual machines. But there is $30 difference!

I've looked through their site and read the specs, but I don't see a lot of difference between them.

Has anyone tried both? What exactly is the difference? Is the extra $30 worth it????

balamw

Staff member
Aug 16, 2005
New England
ammon said:
So now that my Mac Pro is almost here I am looking at getting a virtual machine for it.

Parallels has their "Desktop" and their "Workstation" virtual machines. But there is $30 difference!

I've looked through their site and read the specs, but I don't see a lot of difference between them.

Has anyone tried both? What exactly is the difference? Is the extra $30 worth it????
Assuming you want to run OS X you need Desktop for Mac. The $79 version is the only one that will run under OS X. Mac Pro support is still unreleased, but a release candidate is available. Workstation only runs under Windows or Linux.

You can find it for cheaper, I got mine for $39 after rebat at Fry's

B

phantasm10

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2006
balamw said:
Assuming you want to run OS X you need Desktop for Mac. The $79 version is the only one that will run under OS X. Mac Pro support is still unreleased, but a release candidate is available. Workstation only runs under Windows or Linux.

You can find it for cheaper, I got mine for $39 after rebat at Fry's

B
When was it $39 AR at Fry's?

ammon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2005
Colorado
Okay I feel like a retard. I assumed that Parallels only made virtual software for OS X, so I assumed that both worked under OS X.

Thanks for setting me straight! :eek:

balamw

Staff member
Aug 16, 2005
New England
phantasm10 said:
When was it $39 AR at Fry's?
End of July/August. There was a thread here on it.
ammon said:
Thanks for setting me straight!
No worries. With the number of people buying Macs just to strip them of OS X these days, I wasn't sure ;)

B