Parallels- will it let you just insert microsoft office 2007 for WINDOWS and install?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iansilv, Oct 13, 2007.

1. iansilv macrumors 6502a

I have been reading more and more on parallels, and I was hoping someone here could answer some questions about its coherence mode.

Does it let you run applications for windows transparently through the MAC OS? As in, I insert the installation disk for office 2007, the setup menu comes up, I install it, and I get to put the word icons on the dock, I can open word/excel/whatever and just runt he applications without having to boot in to some sort of an emulation mode or whatever?

I would appreciate some input from some people here.
    Thank you.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Parallels by default mounts any disc inserted into the optical drive. You're going to still need to boot the virtual machine but Coherence makes it appear transparent.

3. iansilv thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ummm... Ok this could be the turning point...

So you are saying that if I need my security while I make my switch, I can use parallels in coherence mode to run office 2007 applications for windows on a mac, and they will appear to be running like a regualr mac app?

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

That's what Coherence does. You're still going to need to boot the virtual machine but you can at least drag/keep applications in your Dock so you'll only launch that one application.

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

You will need to install Windows (preferably XP) first...and it does slow down your other apps a bit if you don't have enough RAM...

6. iansilv thread starter macrumors 6502a

Guys, forgive my noob-ness, but that is freakin' awesome. That means that I can use a mac, migrate over time, and get the best of both worlds. I am sure you are thinking "No shizz, that's what we ahve been saying for years," but it is new to me :)

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've made a lot of users switchers by just offering Office 2003/2007 via Parallels to them.

They usually love the OS X equivalents for other applications more then anything they ever used in Windows. Usually it's Terminal or X11 for my environment.

8. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Actually it came out 2006-06-15...but yeah...

I thought I'd use it when I switched, but all the apps I used had equivalent or better versions made for OSX (except uTorrent, but now I'm happy with Transmission)

9. Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

I just bought a new MacBook a few weeks ago and installed Windows XP with Parallels and I'm amazed at how fast it actually performs. I was expecting it to run REALLY slow, but for the stuff I'm doing, I don't even notice it. Sure, I probably won't be able to run Doom 3 on it or anything (the last Windows game I bought) but who cares?
    Parallels runs great!

10. bmsamson macrumors newbie

so what am i doing wrong (office 2007 install)

so i pop in the office 2007 disk, open in finder, click the setup.exe. parallels starts to open, and then nothing. no error but also no office install.... appreciate advice as to how to make this work.

11. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

open parallels and boot into windows. insert the office 2007 disc and parallels will ask you whether or not you want to open the disc inside the virtual machine. DO NOT use the Finder to launch the setup. windows will auto play the disc if not double click on it in my computer.

12. bmsamson macrumors newbie

oops

my bad. turns out somehow the drive was deactivated in parallels, that's the only reason i couldn't run the installer. anyone else stuck might be worth checking that too under parallels devices, just to be sure you didn't accidentally lose the option in an upgrade or something as i think i did.

13. bdruley macrumors newbie

Need help please

I just bought a macbook pro and have the parallels installed along with windows 2007 so is there a way i can install Microsoft office 2007 and if so how do i do it thanks so much for any help

14. fhall1 macrumors 68030

fhall1

Sure...obtain a copy of Office 2007, start Parallels, boot up your virtual Windows machines and install Office.

15. UpQuark macrumors member

UpQuark

The only note about Parallels or Fusion

RAM. Get as much RAM as you can afford and then even more.

If you can devote at least 2Gig of ram to your virtual machine, you will be happy. However, leave your mac at least 2Gigs free as well.

Good luck!

16. Sir Gawain macrumors newbie

Can I get rid of my Bootcamp partition (which is currently empty) and use Parallels instead?

17. fhall1 macrumors 68030

fhall1

Bootcamp will allow you to run Windows at full "hardware" speed, since you boot into the Windows OS. Parallels runs Windows "on top of" OS X, so you take a speed hit. Depending on what you're doing, and your hardware, you may not even notice the speed hit - so you could just use Parallels if you want and get rid of Bootcamp..........just make sure Parallels isn't pointing to your bootcamp install without you realizing it.

18. chargerarms macrumors newbie

I know this thread is a little old but I am having a problem with this install as well.

I have Parallels & installed with a copy of XP. I have atempted to install Office 2003 a few times in but coherance and non-coherance without any luck. I keep getting an error message about not having windows installed on the drive and I need to select the drive that has windows installed. I have selected me "c" drive a few times without any luck of finding windows (even though windows is currently running in the back ground.

Any advice?