Parallels: Windows very slow

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by chan2004, Aug 10, 2009.

1. chan2004 macrumors regular

Hello all,

I have recently installed windows XP and windows vista using parallel desktop in my MB.

a)
    Then, I tried to install my Pro Evolution Soccer 2008.
    The game is not getting installed and a message popsup telling that i don't have the drivers.

b)
    Also, my machine becomes very slow and almost unresponsive whenever I open my parallels.
    To give you a better idea, I always have the following opened in my mac
    1) Two tabs of firefox with 5-6 windows opened in each
    2) QuickTime player
    3) Limewire
    4) Textedit
    5) System Preferences
    Even if i close them completely, its still slow.

c)
    When I use win xp and connect some drives, it appears in both windows and mac.
    But for vista, its always either in windows or in mac. Nerver, in both
    Another issue is that whenever i have used disk utility to mount images in mac OS, these appear in windows XP but not in Windows vista
    IS there any configuration i need to change to make the images mount in Vista too

2. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

Virtual machines are rubbish for gaming usually, better to install your XP copy under bootcamp and play natively. VM's can also be very slow depending on the hardware you're running it on, switching apps between the Mac OS and VM isn't particularly quick on older hardware, make sure that Parallels has enough RAM allocated, that may help.

3. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Hard to answer without knowing how much total RAM your MB has and how much is being allocated to the virtual machine.

4. chan2004 thread starter macrumors regular

How do I change the RAM allocated to VM.

I haven't played with the settings till now. So, I think it takes the default allocated RAM.

My MB has 1GB RAM

Don't want to install bootcamp as i want to use windows only for playing this game. nothing else. From what I saw, vista is crap. It made me feel i am getting a windows upgrade and the only upgrade was in the number of problems and warning message i come across.:mad:

Alas, if nothing works out, is there any mac games for the time being that i can play- soccer related or car
    Don't want to open another thread

Thanks

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ok first things first..

virtual machines are NOT for gaming! they can only emulate graphics, that means games 3D games run SLOOOOW (or not at all normally).

secondly, 1GB of RAM split amongst two OS's is not good enough, and that is why your computer is stopping to a crawl. you will need to upgrade it to at least 2GB (or possibly 4GB if possible), that wont help with the gaming but it will definetely help with virtual memory problems and speed.

support for vista mightnt be as good, that is why you arent seeing the drives pop up on both, but its probably a setting in parallels. open the preferences for both xp & vista and compare them.

6. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Your biggest problem is your memory. I have ran games on my MacBook and it is possible as long as the game isn't too intensive. You need a minimum of 3GB to do it right. I have 2GB and it's insufficient.

7. akm3 macrumors 68020

I had a problem with slowness in VMWare fusion but the problem was in fact I had allocated TOO MUCH RAM. I have 4gb in my machine and had put 2048mb to Windows. I lowered it to 1024mb and everything starting running great. (Within reason)

Upgrade your RAM, it's super cheap and easy.