Parallels with 32-bit Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by maxsteel, Mar 31, 2014.

1. maxsteel macrumors newbie

Late 2013 MacBook pro 15 with 2.3 quad core i7 and 16 Gb of RAM. What is the recommended max settings for (core numbers and RAM) inside Parallels to run Windows 8.1 32-bit?

Thanks in advance

2. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

32-Bit Windows can't use more than 4 GB of RAM... so there's no point in allocating more than that. 1-2 cores should work fine.

3. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

3 GB of RAM is more than enough since 32-bit Windows can't use more than 4 GB. As far as CPU cores, it depends on what you're doing. If it's basic tasks, such as Office, web, etc, 1 is enough. Computation programs (eg MATLAB) can benefit from 2 cores.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd go with 2 to 4gb of ram, depending on the apps. I use some apps that wilt under 4gb so I give it the most I can.

5. campyguy macrumors 68040

I agree with saturnotaku. I'm using Parallels 8 with Win 8.1 Pro 32-bit and I've assigned 3GB of RAM to my VM - the reporting I get in the VM is that 2.75GB is accessible, regardless of my assignment over that. I don't game, and 1 core works well - I'll back out of Win 8.1 and assign 2 cores if I use MS Access 2013 then switch back to 1 core for everything else.

6. sean barry macrumors regular

sean barry

How to allocate memory to bootcamp/win8

Please excuse my ignorance. I recently purchased a mini with Win 8 (32 bit?) installed in Bootcamp. How would I reduce the RAM and HD space on the Bootcamp partition?
    I just want to learn Win 8 and I have a few games & apps I use occasionally.
    It currently Has 400 Gig allocated and I don't know how much RAM is spent there. I would be fine with 3G RAM and 100 Gig HD. (I think)

7. campyguy macrumors 68040

I'm not answering your question but offering the alternative I chose - I bought Parallels Desktop and "migrated" my Bootcamp partition into a virtual machine, then deleted the Bootcamp partition altogether. Now I can run Windows and allocate what resources (cores, RAM, disk space) as I see fit.

http://kb.parallels.com/en/113658

I have 4 user profiles on my Mac, and installed the virtual machine in my "Shared" directory, modifying the User Privileges so that each User can Read/
    Write to the VM. I can access the VMs in each User account and set up the number of cores and RAM that a VM can use for each User - I allocate 2 cores when I use Access in one User account, and 1 core in the other accounts. QED. I'm running Parallels Desktop v. 8 on 10.9.2 and it works fine; I'll update to v. 10 when it comes out likely this summer (and after its first service update comes out! :rolleyes:).

You could even put the VM(s) on a thumb/SD drive or external disk, which I've done in the past with no issues...

8. sean barry macrumors regular

sean barry

Thanks.Do you need the registration code for Win 8 to migrate it? This came with Win 8 on the Bootcamp partition and it has asked me to register it twice? I think that indicates it may not be kosher? I don't have the code and when asking the seller he sent me a code that doesn't look correct. 8 seems to be working OK so I don't want to enter a bogus code and have it stop working.
    I had Parallels on my old Mini with win 7 that I migrated from my old PC. Worked fine. As I recall I needed the code (which I had).
    I have moved and lost the Parallels disc, I still have the code thou. Guess I'll contact the parallels folks and see what I can do. Bootcamp takes forever to load.

9. campyguy macrumors 68040

Sorry, looooooong day today and I've got to hit the road in the morning for a few days for work.

I didn't at the time, and haven't since. Win 8 was but isn't now a PITA to register - I also use Little Snitch to find out what applications "phone home". Parallels has been great with making my SNs available, and I haven't had one problem with my Win 8 VMs as I moved it from an iMac to a rMBP to another rMPB. When prompted for whether I moved or copied the VMs to another machine I'm using I answered truthfully (moved). I haven't had to re-enter my Win 8 SN - period (yay!).

FWIW, my 3 Window VMs are running perfectly. Parallels support has been great, and they've answered all of my questions promptly.

10. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I'm not sure about Parallels, but in VMware, one core basically means one thread. So I assign 4 cores (which translates to 4 threads) out of 8 in order to assign 2 cores to the VM.

For a 32-bit system, I'd recommend 2-3GB.

That said, I'm wondering why you're running off a 32-bit system when x64's the norm :p

Personally, I assigned 6GB of RAM to Windows 8.1 (x64) in VMware, out of my total of 16GB in my rMBP. On my iMac with 32GB of RAM, I assigned 8GB and it runs real smooth.

11. sean barry macrumors regular

sean barry

Thanks guys

I bought the Mini used and it had the 32 bit installed. Is there a way to upgrade to 64 bit?

12. campyguy macrumors 68040

I took advantage of the $40 Win 8 upgrade when it was available, was running 32-bit XP SP3 at the time. This "fiasco" is bantered about elsewhere, but all I use is Office and several XTERM utilities to connect to surveying hardware - no need for much RAM for my uses.

----------

Yes, there is! Go buy a new install disk, and install a new, clean 64-bit Win 8 partition. No, seriously. MS ties the SN of an install to one install - period, forever. :mad:

13. sean barry macrumors regular

sean barry

Thanks. Actually I moved Win 7 from my old PC to my last Mini (into Parallels) and the code worked fine. Also, I can't locate the slot for the disc drive? :D
    (Note sarcasm )

14. sean barry macrumors regular

sean barry

Update and explanation of the Mini life?

I bought a 2012 Mini when they came out. Parallels with Win 7. Had to move suddenly, a divorce type thing. Had to sell the Mini and lots of other toys.

So now I'm back on my feet I scored a used Mini same as the old 1. Without Parallels but with Win 8.1 in Bootcamp.

Note: the used 2012 Minis can be had quite resonably because the next Mini is coming any day. It has been coming soon for a year or so?

I am just an old hobbyist? Not making any $$$ from this. I have 1 game I play, HOMM3, old and clunke, I know, like me. Not as clunky as Bootcamp loading Win 8!

In my infinite wisdom I backed up the old Mini and was able to retrieve all my bits and bytes? I have Parallels installed and am now trying to get a Win 7 going to play the game.

Sorry you wasted 3 minutes of you lives reading this drivel :D