Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Noxey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2018
I've recently started a new job with a company that's primarily using Macs. I've been a PC guy my whole life, but was pretty excited to give it a try, and went all in on the Mac ecosystem.

Sadly, I work in finance and do a ton of excel. Excel for mac just simply isn't going to cut it. My last hope (before switching to a PC) is to run Parallels for excel/powerpoint and use the mac for pretty much everything else (emails, web based data sets, etc).

I've gotten parallels working great with excel, but the issue is the keyboard shortcuts. Things like "ctrl+arrow" uses the mac hotkey, and switches between desktops. I really need my control and alt keys to operate exactly as they do in windows in order to be efficient with excel.

Is there any way I can disable mac shortcuts while parallels is up so that my excel experience can be the same as it was? Please say yes, as this is a dealbreaker for me!!

Also - because it's a work computer, not sure bootcamp is an option. However I'm open to hearing about it! It's a startup after all, so we may have some flexibility.

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
When you have the Windows VM loaded in Parallels, go to the "Actions" -> "Configure..." menu. Then select the "Mouse & Keyboard" option, and finally hit the "Open Shortcuts Preferences..." button in the pane that appears. I think you can configure that to do what you want with the keys.

(If you are using a MacBook Pro with Touchbar, you can use a an app called "Better Touch Tool" to create macro buttons on the Touchbar as well -- I do that with Excel under Windows under Parallels... very handy.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.