Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monkeyvsshark

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
San Francisco
First of all, hello. I'm new here. :)

I decided to give Parallels a shot last night and I can't seem to get past the part where it boots from the actual XP CD.

The CD is detected when I pop it in my SuperDrive and when I go to execute emulation, I see the little CD icon in the bottom right corner of Parallels active but then it stops and nothing happens. Emulation doesn't quit or anything and there's no error message, it simply stops reading the CD and sits there.

Is it a bad disc? I can explore it just fine within OS X and/or Windows.

petelondon

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2006
I had a similar issue with installing WinXP on Mac OS X parallels, sometimes the parallels virtual machine would hang, sometimes the windows install would throw errors related to missing files.

Yet I knew that the WinXP disc was ok, from previous use on a PC. (This old PC had died from a different, hardware, issue)

The answer was to create an ISO image of the Windows install disc. You can use the ImageTool program that comes with Parallels (in folder Applications/Parallels )

Attach this ISO disc image to the CDROM using the configuration screen, and click play. This fixed the issue for me.

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
petelondon said:
I had a similar issue with installing WinXP on Mac OS X parallels, sometimes the parallels virtual machine would hang, sometimes the windows install would throw errors related to missing files.

Yet I knew that the WinXP disc was ok, from previous use on a PC. (This old PC had died from a different, hardware, issue)

The answer was to create an ISO image of the Windows install disc. You can use the ImageTool program that comes with Parallels (in folder Applications/Parallels )

Attach this ISO disc image to the CDROM using the configuration screen, and click play. This fixed the issue for me.

Thank you petelondon, I've been having issues where WindowsXP would error about files being corrupt or not found during the install, but after following your advice it's running great! Only problem is, where does the problem lie? Is there a problem with my SuperDrive, or with Parallels' CD-ROM support?

deepy

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2006
NATO said:
Thank you petelondon, I've been having issues where WindowsXP would error about files being corrupt or not found during the install, but after following your advice it's running great! Only problem is, where does the problem lie? Is there a problem with my SuperDrive, or with Parallels' CD-ROM support?

I've just encounted this same problem. I knew an easy solution was just to make a CD imagine and use it but i refused to give up so easily lol.

Guess i'm gonna do that now! I think theres an issue with the mac os timing out the CD drive or something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.